CHAPTER 2 : BEWAKOOF

Badi badi haanke hain
Yunhi hawa phaanke hain
Jebein bhari khaali hain akle
.
.

Aarna

I woke up early, feeling a mix of excitement and nervousness, as the warm Mumbai sunlight streamed through my window. It was going to be my first day at law school, a dream I had nurtured for years. I had envisioned this moment countless times, and finally, I was taking the leap.

As I got ready, my mom helped me with my kurti, smoothing out the intricate embroidery. The vibrant colors seemed to match my mood - bright and optimistic.

"Be confident, beta," she said, handing me a cup of steaming chai, its aroma filling the air.
Man, I loved chai ! Drug of choice indeed.

"I will, Mom," I replied, smiling, feeling a sense of reassurance.

Grabbing my bag, I rushed out the door, eager to start this new chapter.

The college campus was buzzing with fresh faces, all eager to make a mark. I felt a sense of comfort knowing that I'd be staying in Mumbai for undergraduate studies.
Reason? IT'S MUMBAI. How can anyone NOT like it? God, the food, the weather and the best part ? MARINE DRIVE. I can never get over this city even after living here ever since I was born.
Won't be an understatement to call Mumbai 'MERI JAAN' (my lifeline)

As I hurried to my first class, the sound of chirping birds and rustling leaves filled the air. I didn't notice the guy standing in the middle of the path until I collided with him.

Ugh, seriously? Who stands there like a mannequin, oblivious to the world around him?

Bewakoof hai kya bilkul ?
(Is he a complete idiot?)

I glared at him, his spectacles askew, revealing piercing brown eyes that seemed to hold a spark of irritation as well as amusement. His chiseled features were set in a scowl, making him look even more annoying.

Great, just what I needed - a clumsy start to the day.

We exchanged heated words, our voices rising above the din of the campus, before the college bell interrupted our spat.

"I'm so sorry," he said, not sounding sorry at all.

"Sorry? You're sorry? You're the one who was standing there like a..." I trailed off, shaking my head.

His scowl grew wider.

"Like a what?" he spoke while raising his brows.

I rolled my eyes. "Never mind."

I couldn't believe his audacity. Who did he think he was, standing there, unfazed by my frustration?

In class, I spotted him again - the same guy from the collision. Tort Law was our first subject, and I heard the professor's question regarding absolute and strict liability.

As I answered confidently, citing case laws and precedents, I noticed Mr. Clumsy aka Bewakoof (idiot) watching me with an intensity that made me shift. His gaze seemed to bore into my skin, making me wonder if he was impressed or just annoyed.

His whispered comment, "Not bad," caught me off guard, sending a shiver down my spine.

Hmm, maybe he's not all bad.

But then he had to go and critique my answer, his words dripping with sarcasm.

"Prioritizing? More like cherry-picking."

I bit back a retort, focusing on the lecture, my mind racing with counterarguments.

This guy was infuriating.
BEWAKOOF KE SAATH SAATH GADHA BHI HAI KYA ?