Unexpected Success

The morning after the festival, Clara could barely keep her eyes open as she shuffled into her bakery. Her feet still ached from the long hours spent standing at the booth, and the bags under her eyes told the story of someone who hadn't slept much the night before. But none of that mattered. The festival had been an undeniable success, and the buzz of it was still coursing through her veins.

She unlocked the door to the bakery and flipped the sign to "Open." Usually, this part of her morning routine felt like a quiet moment of calm before the customers trickled in, but today was different. She had barely turned on the lights before the bell above the door chimed, signaling her first customer of the day.

"Good morning!" Clara said, forcing herself to perk up as a woman entered the bakery. She recognized her immediately from the festival. The woman had been one of the many who had raved about the lemon-lavender tart and Jake's espresso pairing.

"Oh, Clara, it was so good! My husband and I couldn't stop talking about your booth," the woman gushed. "I just had to come by this morning to see if you have any more of those pastries left."

Clara's heart swelled at the compliment, though she tried to play it cool. "I can whip up a fresh batch for you. They won't be exactly the same as yesterday's, but I think you'll still enjoy them."

The woman's face lit up. "That would be wonderful! And I'll take a few extra to bring to work. Everyone was talking about your booth."

As the woman placed her order and left the bakery with a smile, Clara felt an unfamiliar sensation rise in her chest—pure, unfiltered pride. She had poured her heart and soul into that festival, but she hadn't anticipated just how much people would appreciate what she and Jake had created together.

Throughout the morning, more customers filed in, each one with a similar story. Some were new faces, drawn to the bakery by the glowing reviews from festival-goers, while others were regulars who wanted to congratulate Clara on her success.

"It was the best thing at the festival," one man told her. "I usually just grab my coffee from Jake's shop, but I think I'll be stopping by here more often now. Those tarts were something else."

Clara's cheeks flushed with happiness as she busied herself in the kitchen, rolling out dough and preparing another round of pastries. The bakery felt alive in a way it hadn't before, buzzing with energy and excitement.

The success wasn't just hers to celebrate, though. After the morning rush had died down, Clara wiped her hands on her apron and decided to pay a visit to Jake's coffee shop. She could see from the steady stream of customers passing by his window that he was probably experiencing the same overwhelming response.

When she stepped inside the coffee shop, the familiar scent of roasted beans greeted her, along with the sight of Jake behind the counter, expertly pulling shots of espresso. Despite his usual gruff demeanor, Clara could tell he was in high spirits. His movements were more fluid, his expression less tense than usual.

"Looks like you've been busy," Clara said as she approached the counter, a playful smile on her lips.

Jake glanced up at her, his blue eyes bright with something that almost looked like satisfaction. "You could say that. You here to gloat?"

Clara chuckled. "Gloat? I think we both deserve some credit for yesterday."

Jake paused mid-pour, giving her a look that was equal parts amused and grudgingly respectful. "Fair enough. I'll admit, I didn't expect it to be such a hit."

Clara leaned against the counter, folding her arms as she watched him. "Honestly? Me neither. I mean, I hoped we'd do well, but the response has been overwhelming."