9. Thump Thump, Oh Baby!

Aron sat in the car, drumming his fingers restlessly on the steering wheel. He stared at the entrance of the health center, feeling butterflies in his stomach. This was the first time he would meet Erica since the fateful party a few months ago, which had turned their life upside down.

A message pinged on his phone from his mother: "Good luck today, my son! I am so proud of you. Remember to breathe and be yourself. Hugs, Mom."

Aron smiled faintly as warmth spread through his chest. Encouraged by his mother's words, he decided to exit the car and finally step into the health center.

He needed to see Erica and talk to her again. With steady steps, he walked toward the entrance, nerves tingling throughout his body, but he knew he had to be brave. His life was no longer solely about himself; it was also about the child he would have with Erica.

Inside the waiting room, Erica flipped through a magazine. Her face lit up with a warm smile when she spotted him. She quickly rose from her seat and embraced him tightly, their hug infused with a blend of warmth and nervousness. Aron felt his heart pounding in his chest as he gently wrapped his arms around her.

"It's so good to see you again," she said, pulling back slightly to meet his gaze. "I've been reflecting so much on everything that has happened."

Aron nodded and said, "Me too. Things have changed quite a bit, haven't they?"

Erica smiled wryly and let her hand glide over her belly. Aron noticed that a small bump had appeared since their last meeting, though it was not yet very visible. She took Aron's hand and placed it on her belly, allowing him to feel the faint pressure of the growing bump beneath his palm.

Aron looked up at her, overwhelmed by a mix of emotions he couldn't quite articulate. He let his fingers gently trace the soft skin, and a warm smile spread across his face.

"This is so cool!"

Erica laughed warmly at his excitement, looking at him with a blend of gratitude and tenderness in her eyes. "I'm so glad you think so," she said softly, her voice carrying an underlying emotional tone.

Aron thought Erica was even more beautiful than he remembered, which made him feel increasingly nervous around her. They sat down in adjacent chairs in the waiting room.

"How have you been? Are you feeling okay?" he asked cautiously.

"Yeah, I'm doing well. I feel a bit nauseous at times, but otherwise, everything is going smoothly," she replied.

Everything still felt so unreal. In just a few months, he would become a father. Father! The thought both frightened him and ignited a growing sense of anticipation and pride. He hoped that, despite the circumstances, this could turn out well.

The conversation was interrupted when a midwife called out Erica's name. "It's our turn," she announced, and Erica stood up. Aron followed her into the examination room, eager to discover what this appointment would entail.

"Hi, I'm Anne, and I will guide you through your pregnancy," she said, offering them both a firm handshake. "Are you ready to possibly hear your baby's heartbeat for the first time? I see you're only 10 weeks along, so please don't be disappointed if we don't hear the heartbeat today."

Erica nodded eagerly, while Aron felt somewhat clumsy. He was apprehensive about saying or doing something wrong, fearful of exposing how unprepared he still felt for fatherhood.

The midwife asked Erica to lie down on the examination table and lifted her shirt to expose her belly. Aron was still incredibly fascinated by the small bump; it was almost hard to believe that there was a tiny human being inside.