Elopement

Chapter one

"I'm going to kill him Pol, I'm going to fooking kill him!" Tommy raged and stormed around the dining room table and threw a paper into the fireplace. He leaned against the mantle watching the fire consume the source of his wrath. His muscles were tight in his back and his face was set in stone.

"He went behind my back and married Lizzie after I betrothed him to a Lee. After she was willing to keep whoring with me and take the money, he runs off and marries the whore!" He slammed his fist down on the wood causing Polly to jump. She'd have to tread carefully with him to get him to see a peace conflict resolution. Thank God she was here or he'd be dead by tomorrow.

"He went behind my back after I betrothed him to a Lee and will cause a war. I'm going to fucking kills him." He roared watching the fire sputter as if shrinking away from his foul mood.

"Oh, for God's sake Thomas, calm down before you give yourself a heart attack. There is another option." Pol walked around the table and stood near him nursing her tea. She was watching him carefully to see how strongly she had to tug the lead to get him to see the answer staring him in the face.

"Arthur isn't an option Polly. Zilpha Lee made it known Arthur wasn't a contender due to his ill temper and weaker nature. The girl in question needs a man willing to have a stronger will than her."

" Jesus Tom, you're going to make me lead you right to the water trough and rub your nose in it aren't you. What other Shelby man besides John could handle a wild girl?" Polly waited for both of them standing off staring at the other. For God's sake she had to spell it out. "

So don't break the truce and marry the girl yourself, Tom-problem solved." She said it so nonchalantly he almost laughed. She couldn't be serious...but he looked at her face seeing the seriousness in what she was saying. She one hundred percent meant it.

" No, I'm not interested in anyone since France." He said dismissing the idea in a flat tone.

"Oh, so we're going to war with the Lee's then, miss France that much you need a war here on our territory? Wonderful." She scoffed at him, lightning flashing in her eyes.. "Think Tom, don't be a fool. There are more of them than us." She rolled her eyes at him and huffed. Men in this family were infuriating.

"That's not.....fine. Since John left me no choice and Finn is a child...I'll bite the bullet and give the girl a loveless marriage." He looked at her and raised his hands letting them fall carelessly to his side, as if to say," Are you happy?" She smirked at him like she knew something.

"You don't know Tom, love may come later. Besides, what I remember of the girl, you may be more equally matched than you know." Polly smiles and glances at her cup swirling the leaves. This was going to be interesting indeed.

___________________________________________________________________