The exchange

Chapter 2

The exchange

The Re-Arranged Marriage

Thomas had gone early to her caravan and explained that he was interested in Esme Lee's hand. He was grateful when Zilpha agreed to the change without question. She kept smiling at him and seemed to know something he didn't.

"I'll allow it." Is all she said verbally though, with a glint in her eye.

Johnny Dogs and Zilpha muttered something about "a better match" Tommy wasn't sure what he had been missing. He hated feeling like he was missing a key to the puzzle.

He was going to cut John if it was the last thing he did. He may be smiling outwardly but inside he was raging like a bull.

The wedding went well. Tommy could see the mischief in her eye's once he lifted the veil. She'd been by his side all night with witty commentary on someone or something. Her tiny little hand tucked on his arm smiling up at him. She wasn't hard to look at, he had to admit. She was actually quite pretty like a little gypsy doll.

He was dreading tonight though, he had no intention of consummating their vows intentionally. If she saw his nightmares and remained untouched, perhaps the marriage wouldn't stand. It wasn't honorable but then again, he wasn't an honorable man. At least that's what he kept telling himself.

Tommy felt her stiffen when he stood straighter and glared ahead. John and Lizzie strode toward them shaking hands and thanking others for congratulations on their surprise wedding, as they made their way slowly to Tommy and his new bride.

"What is it?" Esme asked him innocently. Her eyes were wide with panic. She was perceptive. He'd have to be careful what he said around her. She'd piece it together well and probably faster then even Pol, which would be a feat. He watched her for a moment. He could see the intelligence through her eyes. He turned ahead watching the traitors approach, looking pleased with themselves. He hadn't invited them. He knew no one would be that stupid in his circle to risk his wrath.

"That Mrs. Shelby was the man who you were going to marry originally. That is his wife Lizzie, Lizzie is a professional whore." He never looked at his bride when he delivered the news. They were close enough to Tommy that he could see the whites of their eyes.

"Shotgun distance." He replied offhandedly.

"What?" Esme asked, alarmed and clutching his arm. He looked down at her and smiled, patting her hand like she was a child in need of comfort. Her large beautiful eyes shining up at him, the bonfire nearby reflecting in her eyes. He tilted his head much to her amusement. God, her eyes....

"It's alright Esme." He turned to face her and leaned down for a kiss. She stood on her tiptoes, rising to meet him as he brushed lips with her and then deepened the kiss. He groaned as she returned the favor generously with passion. Polly was right indeed, they were equally matched.

When he pulled back he smiled at his bride but caught his brother and Lizzie staring. Good. He had the power back. People clapped and cheered for them. He wasn't about to let his brother and his new bride slide through his wedding unscathed. This was war.

"He did it on purpose." Tommy smirked hearing John complain about him and Esme taking the attention off of Lizzie. It was his Wedding day!

"They're happily married like us, why would that bother you?" Lizzie asked as they approached.

They were face to face now. Tommy slipped his arm around Esme drawing her closer to him. She complied and snuggled into his side. He grinned. He was aware that she knew she was in on the game now. God, she was smart. John looked up the Lee girl. Tommy caught the lust in his eye.

"John, Lizzie." He acknowledged them, thankful that his Aunt Pol was rushing forward. She looked concerned.

"Ada's water just broke." Aunt Polly grabbed Esme and drug her away from her new husband who walked briskly behind them. Of course one of his family members, two now, had to take the joyous occasion away from him.

__________________________________________________________

He'd been relieved to find her sleeping peacefully when he'd returned from the Garrison. Ada's labor had taken a while and Esme had gone with Polly to help deliver the baby. He'd considered sleeping on the floor but after talking to her half the night, he knew when he'd awoke she'd be on the floor with him. She committed one hundred percent to anything she said she'd do. Zilphia had mentioned that too during the dancing. She sat down by him and explained that while Esme was a free spirit, she was also fiercely loyal. She told him he'd need that in his expansions for his future. That had thrown him off, how would she know of his plans other than the fact that he'd offhandedly mentioned he was an ambitious man.

Tommy absentmindedly ran his fingers through her hair and down her lily white shoulders. He was pleasantly surprised how much he enjoyed waking up to someone. He'd woken up with whores but something about this was different. This wasn't an annoying distraction but a comfort. She stirred and opened her chocolate brown eyes, blinking the sleep from them. He chuckled softly, finding her little actions cute.

"Morning." He grumbled. His voice is still heavy from sleep. He turned his head keeping the cigarette smoke away from her. She snuggled into his side, her large eyes looking up at him expectantly.

" It's about to get loud." He said, glancing at the clock. "Three, two, one." She pulled back a bit listening like him for the imminent chaos.

Bang!

Esme startled her eyes wide and wild. He rubbed her back. Doors were slamming and people were running down the hall and stairs.

"Morning Finn." He called through the wall. Kids started clamoring around and soon Lizzie and John's scolding voices filled the halls. He rubbed his temple, mindful not to burn himself.

"Every morning at seven, John's kids and Finn get up for school. It'll be an hour of noise then quiet. I have a meeting. We should get up and get dressed for work ,eh?" He folded her arm across her chest leaving her confused. He sat up and put out his cigarette. He was exhausted. The stress of the last few days finally bearing down on him.

"Were working today?" She sounded disappointed and he couldn't blame her. It wasn't that she was a stranger, or a Lee that bothered him but rather that he didn't know her or love her.

"No time like the present Esme." He stood and walked out of the room leaving her speechless in his room.