ii. Love letters

Chapter two

⭐ ୧ It was about the bondthey shared ও 🏡

It was about the bond
they shared 🏡

June 2004

It had been a year since Aera's mother had abandoned her, leaving her on that lonely road in the rain. In that time, the small apartment had become her home, and the other children—Joo-won, Sanha, and Hae-jun—had become her family. The sadness that had once weighed on her heart had lightened, and Aera found herself smiling more easily, laughing freely with the others.

The late afternoon light filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the small living room. The sound of rustling papers could be heard as Sanha sat at the table, focused on his homework, his pencil moving steadily across the page. Nearby, Joo-won, full of her usual energy, darted around with a toy sword in hand, her laughter filling the room.

"Take my sword. Oppa, let's play, let's play!" Joo-won called out excitedly, waving her plastic sword as she ran in circles around Sanha. Her voice was persistent, but Sanha barely looked up from his textbook, trying his best to ignore her antics.

Aera followed close behind Joo-won, holding her own toy sword, a smile spreading across her face. She had grown used to Joo-won's playful spirit, and though she was quieter than the younger girl, she couldn't help but join in the fun.

"Let's play. Play with us! Let's play!" Joo-won continued, her footsteps quick as she circled Sanha's chair, her giggles infectious.

Sanha, always the more serious one, sighed softly. With a calm, patient gesture, he gently pushed Joo-won's sword away, his eyes never leaving his book.

Both girls pouted in unison, their playful energy briefly deflating. Joo-won gave an exaggerated sigh of disappointment, and Aera, though not as dramatic, lowered her sword in defeat.

"If you don't play with us... take this!" Joo-won declared, holding out her toy sword again, this time placing it directly in front of Sanha's face, clearly determined to get his attention. Sanha simply leaned back and pushed the sword aside, his expression calm but resigned to their persistence.

Seeing that they were not going to convince him, Joo-won and Aera exchanged glances, their pouts deepening. They turned to walk away, ready to give up on their quest for a playmate.

But before they could take more than a few steps, a figure burst into their path. Hae-jun, who had been sitting quietly on the side of the room, watching them with a small pout, suddenly leapt to his feet, his face lighting up with excitement. He ran toward the girls, his arms outstretched, blocking their way with a wide grin.

"Wait! I'll play!" he shouted, his eyes sparkling with enthusiasm.

Aera and Joo-won blinked in surprise, momentarily confused by his sudden entrance. Hae-jun, grinning proudly, puffed out his chest and stood tall, his expression daring them to challenge him.