Chapter Five

Harriet called in sick that day. The teacher told us she had caught smallpox, like the other children. We carried on with our classes as if nothing had happened, as if she didn't belong with the rest of us, particularly with me. The hours passed slowly, and my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Harriet, who was likely rotting in her bed, alone and helpless. I knew from her that Mr. Woolridge was never at home and only visited as if the whole place was a motel and his own daughter, a servant. Even so, she would rarely speak about her parents. On occasions – when she was upset, she would babble fragmented and inconsistent comments that made me understand she carried a deep love for her mother, but a strong resentment towards her father.

Worried— a state that Harriet could easily bring upon me — I decided it was necessary for me to go to her house after school. It was my duty as a friend to do so. I wanted to keep an eye on her, see how she was doing, and find out if there was anything I could do to help. Given how sick she must have felt, with the disease probably causing her considerable distress, I felt compelled to make the effort. So there I was, sitting in the cold rain, knocking on her front door. It was the end of a chilly winter, that could either heal souls or drive them desperate.

When she opened the door, I was taken aback by Harriet's smile and the absence of any visible signs of smallpox. Instead, she was covered in paint and looked flustered. "I'm so, so sorry," she said, inviting me inside. "You're all wet, come to my bedroom, and I'll give you a towel to dry yourself". And so, I followed her upstairs. In her bedroom, the first thing that caught my eye was a large canvas on an easel. Glancing at me, and then at the paper, Harriet started to explain herself with a nervous giggle, "I decided to enter the contest." She paused, as her smile grew bigger. "Look, no one needs to know about all of this. Time is crucial for me right now, my dear friend, and time doesn't go back. It could mean a lot to me, it could mean the world".

Seeing the excitement in Harriet's eyes, I nodded. I should have expected something like this; I just wasn't sure how far she would go to swing things her way. Our school was strict about attendance, and it was a mystery to me how she managed to call in sick herself. I guessed her father must have played a part in making it happen.

Harriet's new painting looked fresh, just like the paint smeared on her hands and clothes. I assumed she had just started working on it that morning and planned to complete it during her little break. At that moment, I couldn't make something out of it, but I decided to wait until she finished; Perhaps, in a final glance, the shadow would reappear. Perhaps, for a brief instant, I could have caught a glimpse of what was to come.

"I apologize for letting you on your own today, really. I know how tough it is to be in the midst of them by yourself, with no one there to watch your back. But I'm asking you – desperately, oh, I'm imploring you, friend! – to be patient and keep our little secret. I know I can trust you, all I need is a little bit of time to get this done and then I'll be free. I'll be so grateful, truly".

I stood silent. But my eyes gave her the assurance she needed.

"I'm a dead man if he finds out about this," Harriet cried out. "I'm so done for you can't even imagine. He doesn't like when I paint. He thinks it's aggravating my illness. Not that I have any illnesses, mind you!", cried out Harriet, visibly distressed. I chose to let her speak. "He hates me, hates me, hates me! He says I'm too much like my mother, and he hated her. God, she was so talented and so kind. Believe me, if my father hears about this, I am a dead man."

I was not sure what to say. Harriet seemed deeply hurt, holding back tears. As always, I was ready to stand by her, to fight the pain, the demons, the fears – all for her. I was so invested in Harriet that I knew I would be there until the very end, no matter how tough it would have gotten.