CHAPTER 1

JULIA

Almost a year ago, I helped orchestrate the most romantic proposal for my best friend, Penny. And, of course, she'd bestowed upon me the title of Maid of Honour. Maybe I had a little something to do with that, but that's a story for another time.

As I was saying, Chase's proposal to Penny was beautiful. Now the only problem for them is how to top that for their wedding.

That's where I come in.

"A winter wedding, really Pen?" My brows pull together. "It'll be freezing. Are you sure you wouldn't prefer a nice, warm, summer wedding on a beach somewhere?" She frowns at me. "We could have margaritas, or whatever boozy cocktail takes your fancy."

She's been set on this winter theme since he popped the question. Still, as Maid of Honour, I feel it's my duty to bring her to her senses. Although from the extended pouty frown she's giving me from across the table, I don't think it's working.

"Jules," she says in a whiny voice.

"I know," I interject, rolling my eyes.

"I just want it to be perfect, and 'us'. You know?" she says, trying to sway me to the dark, cold side.

My shoulders slump and I sigh. "Sorry, Pen. It's your wedding, after all."

"It's not that I don't like the idea of a beach wedding. It sounds great, but it's not me." Penny smiles and places a hand on mine. "When you get married –."

"Woah, hold your horses there, girl. Me? Get married? Ha!" I shake my head furiously. "Not a chance."

She tilts her head and smiles. "I know you say that now, but you just haven't met the right guy yet."

"Unless he's made of plastic and I have to blow him up, then I'm not interested."

"Alright, have it your way, Jules." She eyes me cautiously, before changing the subject back to her upcoming nuptials. "Oh, I haven't shown you yet." She reaches into her oversized bag and pulls out a binder, placing it between us. "I saw this in a wedding magazine and thought it'd be great to keep all the wedding planning organised. What do you think?"

I flip through the pages, checking out the variety of sections. My eyebrows arch. "There's a lot of stuff to plan. More than I thought." Closing the folder, I push it back to her. "Have you two set a date yet?"

Penny observes me for a minute. I know that expression. There's something she's not telling me. "Well," she starts. Oh boy, here we go. It better not have anything to do with her ex, Kyle. After what he did to her, I can't even stand to look at him, let alone have him be part of this wedding. Even if Chase is his brother. "We were thinking it might be romantic to have a Christmas wedding."

I can't help but cringe. "Since when did you become so – soft? So, romantic?"

She swats my arm playfully. 'Stop it. Besides, you didn't seem to mind it when we planned my 'grand gesture' for Chase."

"That was different."

"How so?" she asks, curiously.

"Well, for one thing, I watched you two dance around each other for a freaking decade. It was obvious you were made for each other." I say the last part making quotation marks with my fingers.

Penny laughs. "I guess I can't exactly argue with you there, but I've got my heart set on this, and I need your help if I'm going to pull it off." She pauses for a second and tilts her head to the side. "Isn't that what the Maid of Honour is for?"

Oh, I see how it is. She's going to guilt trip me. I groan, but I was never going to not do it. "OK, fine. We've got ages to organise it, I suppose. What date have you chosen?"

Penny looks at me sheepishly. "Actually, we were thinking... this Christmas. The twenty-fourth, so a Christmas Eve wedding."

She watches me while my mind ticks over, panic setting in. Here I was thinking I had at least a year to get this winter wonderland theme all planned out perfectly. And now she tells me it's this Christmas. Shit!

Leaning forward, I try to clarify her request. "Let me get this straight. You want to get married in three weeks?"

"Yeah."

My brows pull together, frowning. "Listen Pen, I'm good, but I'm not sure I'm quite that good."

"Sure you are," she says confidently. "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't think you'd be up for the challenge. Besides, you won't be doing it on your own."

Well, thank goodness for that. Maybe it won't be so bad if Penny and I sort this thing together. And since we've been besties for forever, and can practically read each other's minds, I think we might just be able to pull this off.

"Great, well, that's a blessing, at least." I pull out my phone and find the calendar app. "When are you free? We're going to have to get the big stuff sorted this week." Looking up at her from my phone, I continue. "Just as well you bought that gigantic folder. We're going to need it."

Penny doesn't move. She just tilts her head and smiles. "Well..."

Oh geez. What is it now?

"What?" I say, deadpanning.

"It's just that my work schedule is super busy leading up to Christmas..."

A defeated sigh escapes my mouth involuntarily, and I'm almost certain I'm giving her puppy dog eyes.

Penny sits up straighter and waves a hand in the air. "Oh, Jules, you're not doing it alone. Chase and I would never expect you to take on such a huge task without help." She chuckles.

"OK?" I'm so lost right now.

"We thought Kyle could help."

"What the actual fu-."

Penny interjects. "Jules," she scorns. "Shh." Glancing around to see if anyone's witnessed my outburst, she places a hand on mine and leans in closer. "I'm sorry to spring it on you like this."

I sit up straighter in my chair, and eye her like she's completely lost her mind. Because at this point, I kind of think she has.

"He shouldn't even be coming to the wedding, let alone helping plan it. Whose great idea was that? And more importantly, what the ff...fudge were you thinking?"

"It'll be fine... probably," she replies, but I'm not convinced. "He and Chase talked. Things are settled now."

"Ha," I blurt. "There's more chance of aliens attending this wedding but, if you say so..."

"Jules," Penny says, glancing at her watch. "I'm late for a meeting. I've got to run. I'll send you Kyle's contact details tonight. Love you."

And with that, she dashes for the door, leaving me to wonder how the heck I'm going to do this without being convicted of murder.