Chapter 5: The First Appointments with the Psychologist

Days passed, and Lucas found it increasingly difficult to ignore the weight of his emotions and thoughts. His creative outbursts provided temporary relief, but the shadow of his loneliness continued to haunt him. Eventually, he decided it was time to seek help. With some reluctance, he made an appointment with the school psychologist, something he had been putting off for a while.

The first meeting took place in a small, cozy room filled with books and soft furniture. The psychologist, Dr. Van Dijk, was a friendly man with a calm demeanor. At first, Lucas felt somewhat at ease, but nerves gnawed at him. What should he say? What if this man didn't understand him either?

"So, Lucas," Dr. Van Dijk began in a reassuring tone. "What brings you here?"

Lucas stared at the floor, feeling the tension in his shoulders. "I feel... alone," he finally said, his voice barely a whisper.

Dr. Van Dijk nodded and took notes. "Tell me more about that. When do you feel the most alone?"

Lucas began to talk about the bullies at school, about Max and his friends who always mocked him. He also spoke about his parents' absence, how they never really looked after him and made him feel like a burden. As he spoke, he noticed the words breaking free like a dam bursting. But something about Dr. Van Dijk's demeanor irritated him. It seemed as though the psychologist was more interested in jotting down notes than genuinely understanding his pain.

After the session, Lucas felt somewhat relieved but also disappointed. The words he had shared seemed to linger in the air without any significance. The following week was no different; he returned, but the conversations felt increasingly less authentic. Dr. Van Dijk asked the same questions, repeated the same comments. It felt as if he was merely processing the words Lucas spoke without any empathy.

Lucas began to realize that he was not receiving the help he so desperately needed. Instead of alleviating his feelings, the sessions only sparked more frustration. "Why doesn't he care about what I'm saying?" he often thought. "Why is he doing this only for the money?" The thought struck a nerve in him that he had never felt before.

Instead of getting better, he felt more trapped. The conversations became a source of anger rather than healing. The idea that Dr. Van Dijk was only working for his own benefit gave Lucas a new purpose: if he couldn't find help, he would have to take matters into his own hands. The thought that he needed to take control of his life began to take on a dark form.

With each session that passed, his frustration grew. The words he had used during the talks, the emotions he had shared—they seemed to have no impact. It felt like he was telling the same story over and over again while being so desperately in need of someone who would truly listen.

One evening, after his fourth appointment, Lucas sat alone in his room. It was dark, and the rain tapped against the window. He looked at his art, at the paintings that expressed his inner chaos. The urge to do something, to change things, felt stronger than ever. As he gazed at the canvas, he began to understand that if the psychologist couldn't help, he might have to find a way himself—but in a way no one would expect.

The thought that he no longer needed anyone gave him a grim satisfaction. He would do it himself, in his own way. And the first step would be to confront the psychologist about his disappointments, or worse.

With a dark smile on his face and a new determination in his heart, Lucas knew he had to take matters into his own hands.