Volume 1: Eccentric Geniuses (Class S)

POV: Shinomiya Kaguya

I'm not gonna lie to you or even myself, but to be honest, I've never been good enough. Not in my father's eyes, nor my brothers' visions, nor even my family's expectations.

Shinomiya Kaguya, that's me, has always been ensnared in the web of unattainable standards. Not because I couldn't achieve, but because it was never enough. Not since the time I had in middle school with my partner-in-crime, and currently my dear boyfriend, Shirogane Miyuki.

However, let's not dig deep into my past and just focus on the present, okay? Now, where am I? Oh, that's right, right now I found myself gazing out the window of one of our family's private limousines as we approached my new school, where I'm gonna study for the next three years.

Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School, or ANHS for short.

Being well-known as one of the most prestigious schools in Japan, it has attracted many of the most elite, smart, talented students of Japan, as well as many students from many different countries in the world. Hence, no wonder why it was the only natural choice for someone of my lineage.

To be honest, at first I suggested that me and Miyuki should have taken the bus together, but my father's answer to that? No. The reason was, of course, he would never sanction a Shinomiya to arrive in such a mundane manner, and that would be a huge insult to the Shinomiya name. Due to that, Miyuki and I had no choice but to go by my family's private car.

Haiz, such misfortune for me to have a family like this, right?

Well, at least we'll be sharing these next three years together, and in the same class too. Guess every cloud has a silver lining, doesn't it?

Despite that, I am genuinely ecstatic. Three years of reprieve from the relentless weight of my family's expectations awaits. Perhaps I could consider this as a three-year vacation, not worrying about my family at all. Just me and Miyuki-kun in this place.

However, the parting words from my father still linger in my thoughts.

"Kaguya-kun, make sure to succeed during the next three years. If you are truly worthy of the Shinomiya name, you should have no issue succeeding. Even with a handicap. Be sure not to disappoint me, not again."

Reminding myself about the fact that I had been at the top of my middle school before, just second only behind Miyuki - a true workhorse at that time, I don't even know exactly how I could disappoint him any further. I wondered if my father expects me to be at the top of my grade here. I wondered what kind of handicap he mentioned and how that would affect me. Or was there some hidden meaning behind his words?

Perhaps I would find something about that within my time in this school, but right now? The only thing I care about is spending the next three years of high school with Miyuki, without any unnecessary trouble from my family. Civil War between my three elder brothers, within my family? To hell with that, as I don't give a damn care about that.

While being driven to school, Miyuki, sitting next to me, was quietly reading something, probably something he wrote in his small notebook. As for me, I began letting my mind wander while looking out the window. As I looked out, I enjoyed the view of the ocean. The only thing that could make this better is if there were fireworks. Too bad that fireworks can only happen at night, during some occasions.

"Kaguya-sama and Shirogane-sama, we've finally arrived."

After a certain amount of time, I heard my driver speak for the first time since I left the Shinomiya estate this morning. It seemed like we'd arrived at the destination.

I looked at my new school for the first time as I stepped out of the car and couldn't help but feel impressed and amazed. The campus was even more expansive than I had imagined. Given my father's status as one of the investors of this school, I suppose I should have anticipated this.