Avoidance (9)

The first thing Ana noticed when Ebony pulled her car into the school parking lot, was Royal. He was waiting by the front doors, skimming the incoming students with his eyes, clearly looking for something. Or someone.

Great. Ana slouched in her seat, hoping that Roy didn't know what car Ebony drove and wouldn't approach. Maybe she could avoid him if she went in with a group?

She eyed her stepsiblings. She hated to ask favors from them, but they had always tried to help her before. Maybe it would be a good bonding exercise—save your sister from the creep who asked her out.

"H-hey, Alastair?" she asked, her voice quiet even though Ebony and Loki would clearly be able to hear her.

The vampire she sought was sitting in the front seat, they always sat in the car according to age, so he turned his head halfway back towards her. "Hm?"

"You remember how I told you about Roy?"

He sat up. "Yeah."

"I just... he's been kind of weird and... um... I don't really want to see him, but I think he's waiting at the door for me. Can..." She hesitated, glancing around to include Loki and Ebony in the conversation. "Can you guys help me?"

Loki wrinkled his nose. "That Royal is a weird one. Of course, we'll help you out."

Ebony had been about to pull into a parking spot but continued on instead. "There's a smaller entrance over on this side. He can't guard both doors at once. What's your class schedule? We can make sure someone comes to get you after all your classes—I don't think he likes being around our family, so hopefully that will keep him away from you."

Ana's gut clenched at their immediate response. "Thank you."

"Yeah, for sure. I've dealt with some crazies myself, so I get it," Ebony said. "While we're at it, Loki and I can find Roy later and make sure he doesn't keep bothering you."

"No! No, you don't have to do that," Ana said, embarrassed. "I don't think it's that big of a deal, I just don't want to see him today. Hopefully he gets the message."

Ebony frowned a little, pulling into a parking spot. "Fine. But if he keeps bothering you, let us know, okay?" Her eyes met Ana's in the rearview and she smiled. "We gotchu."

Ana smiled back at her. "Thank you."

As they walked into the school, they exchanged class schedules, working it out so there would always been someone to escort her between classrooms. Since Roy was still guarding the front door, they didn't encounter him on the way to her first class.

Or her second.

Her third period class ended, and she still hadn't talked to Roy at all. She caught glimpses of him, but since she was always with a sibling, he kept his distance.

But of course, all good things had to come to an end.

Ana was waiting right outside the classroom door, waiting on Alastair to come get her. He was taking his sweet time, and she was starting to get nervous that Roy would show up before he did.

Her eyes never stopped skimming the crowd of kids swarming the school until they finally landed on the form of an unfortunately familiar form of a male vampire.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. She glanced away, wondering if she could just start off towards her class and text Alastair to go to his own.

"Christiana!"

Her head snapped over to look at Roy before she could stop herself. Their eyes locked and he smiled. Oh no. No avoiding him now...