▼Chapter I▼

Kyle Montgomery

I sat up in bed before my alarm had the chance to go off. I rubbed my puffy and probably red eyes and got out of bed.

Monday.

Just another day in this hell that I call my life. I sighed long and hard and looked in my messy closet for something to wear. Even though I felt like pulling a over sized sweat shirt on, I knew I couldn't dress like that. I found a black V neck blouse and got a pair of leggings to wear with it and layed it on my bed. That would have to work.

I stuffed my messy hair in a shower cap and took a hot shower. I washed away my tear stains and my hurt. I wouldn't get very far if I held onto my hurt. I didn't know how to deal with the what that I felt in my chest, but honestly I don't think there was a way to deal with it.

My mother was extremely adamant. She probably thought that was what was best for her. Not her husband of 20 years, or her 2 kids that she barely see's as it is. I tried to push those thoughts away, and let my mind go blank.

I stood under the hot water and tried my darndest not to get my hair wet. Lord knows my day would go down hill if I went to school with my hair looking a hot mess.

Once I got out of the shower I got dressed and put on my make up. So far my day was going normally, and I preyed that nothing else would go bad.

I grabbed my bookbag and headed downstairs. My brother was in the dining room eating cereal. 

Great. That was normal, which was good.

"You ready to go?" I asked grabbing a granola bar. I smiled, not genuinely but the fake smile that I put on my face everyday.

"Yeah.. Are you okay Kyle?"

"Perfectly fine. Why?"

"You just seem.. a little off."

"I'm perfectly fine Karson. Let's go." I rolled my eyes at myself. To be honest I was irritated, not at Karson but at the fact that he could notice that something was off about me. I guess because he's my brother, but like everyone in the house, we were all pretty much strangers.

 I climbed in my BMW, started it up, strapped on my seat belt, and turned on the radio. Karson got in the car after me and turned off the radio.

"What did mother tell you last night?" Karson asked looking me dead in my eyes.

I gripped the steering wheel and put the car in drive. After a couple of seconds I looked at him and did what I was so good at. 

I lied. "Nothing."

"I don't believe you."

"Well.. that's your problem." I sighed and tried to concentrate on the road. I don't know why I couldn't tell Karson about mother and father getting a divorce. I don't know if I wanted to protect him..or myself. Or them.

"Did you forget that our rooms are right next to each other?" Karson said looking out the window. "The only time I've seen or heard you cry was when Granny died. That was 5 years ago."

I tightened my hold on the steering wheel. "Nobody was crying last night Karson."

"Why lie about it? We both know you were crying."

"Get off my back." I said getting irritated all over again. "Everything is fine Kar, don't worry about it. Nothings wrong with me." I was good at masking my feeling, and for a second it seemed like Karson even believed me. But then he shook his head and stuck in his earphones.

I bit my lip and tried to clear my head for the second time today. It was interesting to me how my 14 year old brother could see through me more than my own parents, or anyone else for that matter.