09;return.

⊹

⊹.✮₊⋆

THE RETURN
april 27, 2023 (thursday)
clementine's apartment in NYC

       it was late—well past midnight—when nicholas's message appeared on clementine's phone screen. she had just finished practicing some new lyrics, the melody still echoing in her mind, when her phone buzzed on the table. the glow from the screen cut through the darkness of her apartment, and she reached for it, not expecting anything significant.

nicholas: guess who's coming back to nyc this weekend 😏

      her heart skipped a beat. fingers hovered over the screen, a flurry of excitement rushing through her. nicholas had been filming in los angeles for months, and though they'd stayed in touch through late-night calls and texts, she hadn't seen him in person since their connection had shifted. things had been friendly before—lighthearted, teasing—but now? there was something more there, something neither of them had put into words.

clementine: no way! when?
she tried to keep her cool, but her heart pounded a little faster.

nicholas: saturday. landing in the afternoon.
a pause.

nicholas: any chance i can crash at your place? not really feeling the hotel vibes tbh.

       her stomach fluttered. she stared at the words, feeling the subtle shift in the air. the idea of nicholas staying with her wasn't new; they'd joked about it before. but this time, the ask felt different—more intimate, more real.

clementine: my bed's probably more comfy than a hotel anyway 😋 but no blanket stealing allowed.

nicholas: deal. can't wait to see you, clem.

      she reread the message, a warmth spreading through her chest. there was something about the way he said it—so effortlessly confident, yet full of care. she could picture the teasing smirk on his face, the way his eyes crinkled at the edges when he smiled. it made her feel at ease, even though deep down, she was anxious about how it would feel to have him in her space again.