Chapter 1

Beginning our story

Hello Wattpad explorers! Thank you so much for checking out my story dear reader. Now this is my first story so it might be short but hopefully enjoyable for you. So without further a do here is The Story Exchange.

I was thirteen years old when I met him. He had creamy white skin like buttermilk and was as shy as a mouse. He had a huge love for reading. And had an even bigger love for sharing his stories and was good at it to. He could recite the little engine that could and make it sound like a masterpiece of literature. And was talented enough to steal my heart without me even realizing it... And I hated him for it.

"Mama" I said softly. She ignored me and kept on chattering excitedly looking straight at the dark concrete road. "– And I bet Ms. Gretz will be very nice. Oh and did I tell you they have a son your age?" "Yes mama several times you have." I stated. "Oh sorry sweetie I'm just so excited! She exclaimed "Yeah I can tell." Mama needs to lay off the damn 5-hour energy. I exhaled looking at the oaks that passed by and thought about how lucky my little sister was. Sadie could wriggle out of most situations she does not deem fun. Meeting the new people down the street was one of them. " Now Ella Marie." My mom stated pulling me out of my thoughts. " I want you to be very polite to Ms. Gretz and her son Duane." "Okie Dokie chief." I said with a pasted on smile as we drove up to their house. It was a pale yellow country house. Not much different from our forest green one. We walked up the drive and up to the white door. The door opened up a crack. A regal woman stood, she had light brown hair and pale blue eyes a small smile that grew more when she looked upon us. "Hello Lou Ann, so good to see you again. And this must be Ella." She said kindly. " Yes ma'am" I said politely with a small smile. "Well you ladies can make yourselves at home." We followed her into an airy living room. Dark wood shelves, black and white photographs and white furniture made the navy room feel very modern. After we settled down onto the couch mama and Ms. Gretz started yakking about taxes and their kids various accomplishment's and interests while I helped myself to coke and some fruit and cheese from a platter. Soon I got bored, so when Ms. Gretz asked if I would like to meet her son I said sure. " His room is right down the hall, to the left." I nodded and followed her instructions. I tapped my knuckles softly against the scratched oak door. No answer. Again but with more force I knocked. Nothing.

This time I turned the knob and peered in I saw a really pale boy with dark brownish-blackish hair and pale blue eyes. He sat on red wine colored beanbag and was looking intently at a book in his lap. "Um hi." I said. He bout snapped his neck looking up at me; he looked like a deer in headlights. I giggled a bit as he composed himself and slowly put a bookmark in his book. "H-Hello he stuttered quietly. I giggled slightly, walked towards him and said " No need to be shy. I'm from down the street your mom invited us over. Names Ella Abner, nice to meet ya." I said with a grin sticking out my hand. " Duane Gretz, pleased to make your acquaintance." He said cautiously touching my hand and shaking it. I plopped down on the small black desk chair and glanced around the room. I whistled looking at the huge black lacquered bookshelf. That thing covered the entire back wall! Floor to ceiling! Only a small amount of the shelf was unoccupied. " So... I guess you like reading huh? I'm not big on reading myself. He glanced up at me and nodded putting his hands in his lap. It took a while of nodding and yes and no answers from him for us to start talking. He told me about his life in Washington and being homeschooled. I told him about life in Georgia and being in public school. But after a while of chitchat we hit a lull in the conversation. And soon there was an awkward silence. It was so thick you could cut through it with a butcher knife. And then he grinned and he asked a question. A question so simple, so easy, and so casual I didn't think anything about it. "Do you want to here a story? He asked a flame of excitement dancing in his pale blue eyes. Little did I know that small question would start something big for the both of us.

So this Ella and Duane's big start! I'm so excited! Feel free to comment down below with suggestions for this story since it is my first. Sorry if it's short. And I will update soon as possible. Thanks again for reading!

-Love,

Tay