8

The morning rushed in faster than usual, but getting back to work felt like a welcome escape for me. The familiar aromas of savory and sweet dishes mingling in the kitchen always helped ground me, a calm anchor against the whirlwind of my personal life. I told myself to act like nothing had happened—just get back to normal.

Just as I started finding my rhythm, Jose bounced into the kitchen, his signature grin wide as usual, instantly reminding me that I still owed him for saving me from Brenda on Saturday.

"Good morning, sunshine!" he called out, his voice full of familiar warmth and mischief.

I rolled my eyes, already bracing myself. "Oh no. What now?"

"Guess what?" He wiggled his eyebrows like a dad about to tell a cheesy joke. "I'm closing tonight, which means..." He left the sentence hanging, waiting for my reaction.

"Which means you're going to graciously let me share in the joy of closing with you?" I asked, my exaggerated enthusiasm barely concealing the dread creeping in.

Jose gasped, clutching his chest in mock offense. "Oh no, darling. You're going to have the absolute pleasure of doing all the closing duties for me!"

"Ugh, seriously?" I groaned. "Do you know how long that's going to take? I'd like to have a life outside this place, you know."

His grin softened. "Not tonight, kiddo. Besides, Debra's got me running around prepping for some last-minute event she picked up. But you're a rockstar, and I know you'll manage."

I raised an eyebrow as he glanced around, checking for any sign of Debra. "An event? Another one? We just survived the Remingtons'."

Jose nodded, still keeping an eye out for our boss. "Oh, this one's even better. Twice the size of the Remingtons'. For Mr. Remington's son, no less. If we nail this, the Forewest Hotel is going to be in the spotlight. She's really counting on us to shine."

I straightened up, feeling a knot of stress forming. "Twice the size? We barely made it last time with the staff we had, and now—"

"Relax, Rose," Jose cut me off, his hand landing gently on my shoulder. His touch, though playful, carried a steadying weight. "It's all part of the bigger picture. More guests, more buzz for the hotel. You've been through crazier shifts, haven't you?"

I sighed, though his familiar tone made the stress feel lighter. "Yeah, yeah. But you're still doing closing duties with me tonight, or I'm charging lunch to your tab."

Jose chuckled. "Deal, but you better make it worth it." He spun me around gently, guiding me toward the prep station. "Now, go get started on those garnishes."

**

By mid-day, I was elbow-deep in polishing the stainless steel ovens, switching out the tablecloths, and generally doing everything but my actual job. My fingers ached from all the unnecessary scrubbing, and the thought of a well-deserved lunch break became my sole motivator. I snickered to myself, thinking about what mouth-watering meal I'd be adding to Jose's manager tab.

As I walked back toward the dining hall, the kitchen doors swung open, and I was greeted by Debra's worried expression. But it wasn't her that froze me in place—it was Anthony, standing next to her.

The moment I caught his scent—fresh vanilla mingled with sandalwood—my heart skipped a beat. My eyes drifted over him, and suddenly, everything else faded. He looked so good, better than I remembered. His tailored suit hugged his athletic frame perfectly, the dark fabric making the green of his eyes even more striking. His hair, just the right amount of tousled, added to the effortless confidence he carried. My breath hitched, pulse quickening, as I forced myself to tear my gaze away before it lingered too long. What the fuck is he doing here? My mind scrambled, heat rising to my cheeks.