Chapter 29.

"Why would he do that? What possible reason would he possibly have for going back to her?" Annie felt the hysteria rising. He hadn't slept with her! This changed everything and as much as she told herself that Thomas wouldn't sleep with her, she knew how manipulative Samantha could be where Thomas was concerned. She was a compulsive liar, but she was good at it.

Gabe rolled his eyes before placing his hands firmly on her shoulders, snapping her out of her train of thoughts which were irrelevant at the moment. He made sure she was paying attention before he spoke.

"That doesn't matter, Annabelle. You need to get there, quick."

"Gabe, why are you helping me?"

He chewed the inside of his cheek as a flushed colour painted them; was he embarrassed? Wow, the giant bully Gabe was embarrassed in front of petite little Annie. He ran his hand through his hair, at a loss for words. He scuffed his heel against the floor of the airport with a sigh.

"I really do like you, Annabelle. I didn't lie. That was why I kissed you at the party. That, and partially to get back at Thomas. I used to like her, you know? Sam. Thomas stole her from me though. I knew Sam wanted him back so we plotted it to make you both break up, she said she'd make it worth my while with money but it's had such an awful effect on you. Well, to a certain extent - you look great by the way - but it's obvious that you're meant to be together. Anyone can see that, and Sam? She doesn't deserve to be happy. If you're willing to accept my help, I'd really like to bring her down, make her pay. Literally", he grinned evilly. She wasn't quite sure what Gabe would possibly get from hurting Sam, but she wasn't arguing the toss either.

"Thank you" was all she said as Gabe helped her with her luggage, the two of them making their way out of the airport doors to his car.

*

The car screeched to a halt outside Sam's house and Annie was sure she felt her heart stop beating indefinitely when she saw Thomas sat on the porch steps, his head in his hands. Oh no, she was too late. He'd done it, hadn't he? Her heart hurt like a knife had just pierced it through her chest.

"Thomas?"

Annabelle stepped out of the car tentatively, Gabe doing so on the opposite side and walking round to join her. He stood behind her, taking a protective stance. Her breathing was laboured as the hysteria began bubbling to the surface. She'd trusted him. She trusted that he'd made the right judgement.

Thomas jumped to his feet, his eyes wide, as was his mouth. He was awe struck. She was absolutely stunning. Her long brown hair was now in a pixie cut and was lighter, almost blonde; her black clothing was a thing of the past as she stood there in a vest top and shorts. He never thought he'd see the day that she would wear shorts. It made him smile to himself.

He forgot the world around him at that moment. He forgot that Sam was laying in bed upstairs with no clothes on, or at least she had been before he'd left. He forgot that the top button of his shirt was undone. He forgot how much he'd been hurting. All of that had drifted away the moment he'd laid eyes on her.

"You're beautiful."

She smiled back shyly, tucking a short strand of hair behind her ear, but then she took a closer look at him, noticing how dishevelled his clothes were.

"Thomas? Have you slept with Sam?"

He hung his head, too afraid to answer. How could he possibly tell her what had happened?

"Tell him Annie", Gabe urged her, pushing her forward, closing the gap between her and Thomas. He snapped his head up then, his fear escalating. Had he caused this? Had he set him up like he'd set Annie up?

"What? What is it? What's happened? In fact, what are you even doing here, Gay? I should rip your head off."

Annie looked back at Gabe, her eyes frightened. He rolled his eyes, tired of the commotion.

"Do what you want, Thomas. Annie wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me telling her that you didn't sleep with Sam."

"What do you mean I didn't sleep with Sam? How could you possibly know that? She showed me the condom."

"Yes Thomas, my condom. Not yours."

Thomas' face went pale. That little bitch! She'd set him up. She'd done this on purpose to ruin the one good thing in his life. The rage was evident on his face as he spun on his heels.

"Thomas! Your shirt", Annie called out, taking another step closer to him but halting as he glared at her over his sholder.

"That doesn't matter right now. Only you do."

And with that, he barged his way back into Sam's house.