Chapter 1: Common Sense

Lucas has always been a nerdy guy, weird but usually always kind. 

He is smart, but has major trouble with social interactions. His father always says he thinks he is autistic, but his mother just doesn't feel like he should be tested. 

Even then, everyone at his school thinks he has autism, so that being said.. He probably does!

It was the second week of school, Lucas walked into class and went to sit in the seat he was the most comfortable with when he noticed someone sitting there.

His eyes quickly widened, he went to the desk, tapping on it. The person had his head down, looking like he was trying to sleep.

Lucas continued to tap and eventually the person sitting gave in and looked up, "What the fuck do you wan-" He paused.

It was Jack.

It had to be Jack.

Lucas lost track of breathing, "J-Jack!! Hello.. Hi.. Uhm, It's been awhi-.." 

Jack quickly got up, got his back and went to a different seat in the back.

Lucas blinked rapidly, looking down at the desk. Not really understanding.

He knew that Jack basically dropped him, but for him to just quickly get up and move away.. Just broke his heart a bit.

He closed his eyes, sat himself down along with his stuff, and sat there. Overthink every little thing about Jack. 

His heart raced, left leg shaking up and down. He subconsciously bounces his leg when he is nervous.

About a minute of him think to himself, he heard a tap on his desk. He looked up and blinked rapidly, his teacher was standing there with her ruler, "Luke right? Answer this question on the board. Let me test your knowledge on this subject, see if you are actually listening!"

Mrs. Phillips is a very strict teacher, always getting on to Lucas. He never really understood why.

He was quiet, he did his work, he listened.. But still, for the slightest second of no listening she will call on him.

Plenty of other students in the class that do the opposite of him, and she calls on Lucas.

Constantly

Mrs. Phillips, the math teacher, is a chucky black lady, always carrying a ruler and seems to wear a dress every day.

"Its.. Lucas.." He says quietly, not looking directly at her. 

She moved aside as he got up, and went to the board.

He grabbed a marker and looked at the problem. 

In a 30-60-90 triangle, the length of the hypotenuse is 6. What is the length of the shortest side?

His mind filled with the answer, as he quickly opened the marker and began to write

The side opposite the 30° angle (shortest side) is x.
The side opposite the 60° angle is x squared 3.
The hypotenuse (opposite the 90° angle) is 2x.

Given that the hypotenuse is 6, we can set up the equation:

2x=6

To find x, we divide both sides by 2:

x=6/2=3

The length of the shortest side (the side opposite the 30° angle) is 3

Mrs. Phillips was surprised by the fast answer, Lucas was most definitely gifted.