CHAPTER 2

They say time heals all wounds, but that's a lie. Time doesn't heal it numbs, maybe, for a while. But it never truly erases the scars. They're still there, buried deep, waiting for the moment you're too weak to resist, too tired to fight. Then, without warning, the memories resurface, tearing you apart all over again.

"Artemis, ikaw ba 'yan?" Her voice pulled me out of my daze, and instantly, I felt my heart twist. Mrs. Dela Cruz, one of the few people who stood by me when everything in my life crumbled. I stood up quickly, forcing a smile as I faced her.

"Hi, ma'am. It's me," I said, my voice steady even though I could feel the familiar weight settling in my chest. 

"Kamusta po kayo?" She smiled warmly, her eyes lighting up with recognition. 

"You look different now! I saw your interview a few months ago, grabe, Artemis, ang galing mo. I'm so proud of you." Her words hit me harder than I expected. It had been so long since I heard someone say they were proud of me. I blinked back the sting in my eyes, not wanting to break down in front of her. Mrs. Dela Cruz had always been kind. She didn't need to see the mess I was underneath all this success.

"Salamat po, ma'am," I replied softly. 

"I just got back a few days ago. How have you been? Hindi kayo tumatanda, ah." She laughed lightly, shaking her head. 

"Ikaw nga ang hindi tumatanda. And look at you now, you've made it! Are you staying for good?" The question felt heavier than it should have. I shook my head, the familiar ache returning.

 "Five months lang po. May kailangan lang akong ayusin." She didn't press. She didn't need to. Her understanding gaze told me she knew why I was back, even without me explaining. She was there for me when no one else was. When everything turned against me, she stood by my side. She helped us move to California when it all fell apart. And when they started accusing me of things I never did, she never doubted me.

Grandma. Papa. I still remember their faces, how they tried to hold everything together for me, for us, even when life kept throwing curveballs. Losing them felt like losing the last of my reasons to stay. It's been years since then, pero hanggang ngayon, parang hindi ko pa rin matanggap na wala na sila.

"Naku, Artemis, I have to go to class now, but we'll catch up soon, ha?" Mrs. Dela Cruz said, pulling me out of my thoughts. I nodded, grateful for the escape.

 "Sige po, ma'am. Ingat po kayo." As she walked away, I felt the weight of everything settle deeper into my chest. The past never truly leaves you it lingers, hidden in familiar faces and places. And today, it was everywhere.

I wandered through the university, my feet moving without thought, taking me to places that were once so familiar. Every corner, every classroom it was all the same, but everything felt so different. Dati, this place was my haven, my escape from the world. But now, it just felt like a graveyard of memories I couldn't outrun.

Laughter echoed in the hallways, students rushed to their classes, and life moved on. But for me, the weight of the past dragged me down, pulling me back into the memories I tried so hard to leave behind.

And then there was Noah.

Noah... He was everywhere. Kahit saan ako magpunta, his presence haunted me. He was a part of this place, of these halls, of every memory I had here.

 Noah was my best friend. The one person I thought would never turn his back on me. But I was wrong. Because when everything fell apart, he was the first to believe the lies. The first to doubt me. And that betrayal... it cut deeper than anything else.

 Ang hirap niyang iwasan. This city, this university it's too small to avoid him forever. But every time I think about seeing him, I feel that familiar pang of fear, of anger, of heartbreak. I'm not ready to face him. I don't think I'll ever be ready.

I stopped in front of 7-Eleven. God, how many nights did Noah and I spend here, talking about everything and nothing? This was our spot, our escape from all the pressures, the rumors, the world that always seemed too much. He'd buy me ice cream, kahit sobrang late na, and we'd just sit outside, staring at the night sky, dreaming of a future that never came true.Now, standing here without him, it felt empty. Hollow. Just like me. Everything I loved about this place was tied to him, and now it was just another reminder of everything I lost.

The sun was setting when I finally made my way back to the condo. My mind was a mess, my heart heavier than ever. I just wanted to sleep, to escape everything. But as soon as I walked in, Monica was sitting on the couch, flipping through a white envelope. She looked up, smiling when she saw me.

"Art! Tyler dropped by earlier. He gave us an invite to his girlfriend's birthday tomorrow," she said, holding up the envelope. 

"Oh, and he asked if you could sing their theme song." I rolled my eyes. 

"Of course, he did." She chuckled, but her expression turned serious. 

"Noah's going to be there." Her words hung in the air like a storm cloud, and I could feel the tension build between us. Noah. Of course, he'd be there. Life just loved throwing him in my face, huh?

"'ll go," I said, surprising both of us. 

"I'll sing the song. But I'll come late."

"Arty, you don't have to force yourself. If you're not ready to see him, it's okay. No one's forcing you," Monica said gently. I sighed, the exhaustion finally catching up to me. 

"Mon, I can't avoid him forever. I have no reason to hide. I didn't do anything wrong."

[Flashback]

"Noah, for the last time, I didn't do it! You have to believe me!" I shouted, my voice cracking under the weight of my frustration and the tears that were threatening to spill.

"Who else, Artemis? Ikaw lang ang may galit kay Sammy. You're the only one with a reason to do this!" His voice was sharp, his eyes cold. It felt like someone had just ripped my heart out of my chest. After everything we'd been through, this was what he thought of me? That I was capable of something so... low?

"Noah, I told you the truth. I love you, pero hindi ko 'to ginawa. Hindi ko kayang saktan siya, or anyone else!" My voice trembled, desperation bleeding through every word. His silence spoke louder than anything he could have said.

"You never believed in me, Noah. And that's on you. Not me," I whispered, before turning and walking away, my heart breaking with every step.

[End of Flashback]

Artemis' Diary

They say time heals all wounds. But time hasn't healed me, it's only made the pain worse. I'm tired of running, tired of pretending I'm okay. Tomorrow, I'll see him again. And I don't know if I'm ready. But one thing's for sure, I'm done hiding. Because the truth is, I have nothing to be ashamed of.