1.Sparks in the Smoke

The fourth of October 2005

Cold day, 10:44 school corridors

Arlo was standing with a group of friends, his expression blank and indifferent as they engaged in a conversation about girls. However, he seemed disinterested, his gaze focused on an empty spot on the ground, his mind devoid of any thought. The chatter of his friends continued around him, their focus on the topic of girls and how to make them like them, but Arlo's expression remained unchanged, showing neither engagement nor interest.

Feeling increasingly bored, Arlo decided to break away from the group, stepping away from his friends and beginning to wander through the school hallways, his demeanor still lacking energy or enthusiasm.

As he walked, he passed by other students, recognizing a few familiar faces but not giving them much thought or attention. He continued walking, his expression still displaying boredom, his gaze fixed on the ground in a mindless manner.

The path led him by a large window, overlooking the outdoors. There, a bird was perched on the window ledge, its eyes fixed on Arlo. For a brief moment, he looked back at the bird, his expression remaining impassive but a hint of amusement gleaming in his eyes.

The bird suddenly took off, flying away, and Arlo continued on his way, his attention shifting back to the monotony of the hallway. However, the brief encounter with the bird had stirred a bit of interest in him, momentarily breaking the boredom. He kept walking, his steps slow and heavy as the monotony returned, but the small interruption had made him feel somewhat less bored.

Feeling achy and weary, Arlo decided to head to the bathroom to freshen up. He stopped walking, looked around, and headed towards the bathroom.

He walked into the empty bathroom and went straight to the sink, turning on the faucet and letting the cool water flow out. He splashed some of the water on his face, the cold liquid waking him up a bit. He leaned against the sink, his face dripping with water, and stared at himself in the mirror.

While standing by the sink and washing his face, a sudden waft of smoke caught his attention. Arlo glanced around, trying to identify the source of the smell. The bathroom was empty, but the distinct scent of smoke was unmistakable.

Arlo knew it was cigarette smoke, and he could tell who the smoker was. Leaning against the sink, he watched as the smoke escaped from one of the stalls. A smirk appeared on his face as he approached the stall door, and he stood in front of it. He knew that his presence here would irritate the other person, so he called out in a deliberately annoying tone, "Smoking here is kinda pathetic, don't you think?"

There was a brief pause before a cold, annoyed voice came from the other side of the stall door. "Just shut up and mind your own business," the voice snapped.

Undeterred, Arlo continued to tease, trying to act innocent and infuriating. "Come on, why so rude?" he asked, feigning innocence. Again, there was a moment of silence before the stall door opened, revealing Iwan, smoke billowing from his mouth, his expression annoyed.

Arlo leaned against the opposite wall, his arms crossed, a smirk on his face. Despite his casual demeanor, he knew Iwan was someone to be taken seriously,

The two looked at each other for a moment, the difference in height apparent, with Arlo being taller and bigger, but he knew not to underestimate Iwan. While leaning against the wall, arms crossed, he continued to look at him with a smirk.

Iwan broke the silence first, irritated, "What do you want?" he asked, his voice a little hoarse from smoking.

Arlo remained silent for a moment, his smirk widening. He knew that his presence was irritating Iwan, and he was enjoying it. After a few seconds, he spoke up, his tone intentionally taunting:

"What's the matter? Did Daddy not give you enough cash for some weed today?"

He was making fun of Iwan's father's drug problems, aware that it would further provoke him. There was a pause again, a few seconds of silence as Iwan clenched his jaw and looked at him coldly, the veins in his neck slightly visible.

Iwan stared at him for a few more seconds in silence before swiftly closing the distance between them in a single step. He grabbed Arlo's collar roughly, pinning him against the wall.

Arlo was not entirely surprised by the sudden action. He just continued to grin and look at him, not showing any sign of surprise or fear. He raised his hands in an innocent gesture, though the smirk on his face suggested otherwise.

"Hey, hey, calm down, buddy," he said in a taunting tone, despite being pinned against the wall by his collar.

He knew how much Iwan hated being ridiculed for his father's problems, and he was intentionally trying to aggravate him further. As Iwan moved in closer to his face, his cold eyes boring into him, he threatened:

"If you talk to me like that again, I'll fucking kill you."

With that, he pushed him forcefully against the wall one last time before letting go of his collar and walking out of the bathroom, leaving Arlo standing there.

Arlo, leaning against the wall after the forceful push, rubbed his neck where he was grabbed, his usual nonchalant and bored expression back on his face. He didn't look particularly angry or upset, but the incident had certainly disturbed his previous state of boredom. He straightened up and walked out of the bathroom, looking after Iwan as he left.

__________________________________

Character appearances:

Iwan

Iwan has long, rebellious black curls that fall past his shoulder blades, Iwan exudes a rugged beauty. His bronzed skin bears the marks of his past, covered in a smattering of faded scars that seem to only add to his mystery. Deep-set, warm brown eyes gaze out from beneath thick brows, their lashes casting shadows on his face. A strong, prominent Roman nose and a defined jawline speak to his rugged charm. His lean, angular frame is clad in well-worn and slightly oversized clothing, hinting at a life marked by both struggle and resilience.

Arlo

Arlo is a vision of rugged yet sophisticated charm, a walking juxtaposition of strength and grace. His striking features are defined by a light and tanned complexion that highlights his sharp, strong nose and defined jawline. Long, well-defined lashes frame his captivating green eyes, while a buzz-cut hairstyle adds a rebellious flair to his appearance. His lean, muscular physique is marked by broad shoulders and a subtle hint of abdominal muscles, further enhanced by the light veins