Chapter 5 Apples Anyone

APPLES ANYONE

Mister Luke, yes, despite an obvious mental abnormality, which we might refer to in less degrading terms as neuroatypical, had so much positive potential and during several years he was actually living a relatively successful and what would be considered, a normal life. Unfortunately, and what sadly was all too predictable, along with Luke's Aspergers challenges there were also other demons, drug and alcohol addictions that he was unable to control.

The pot was one thing—that he was able to manage fairly well and its use even served as an effective self-medication effort, but when intoxicated with alcohol the deeper demons came forward and took control. Under the influence Luke was often transformed into a severely depressed and angry individual. Much of that depression was not based on anything particular that had gone wrong in his life, but rather the inevitable bottoming out during his monthly bipolar cycle.

He'd go through a pleasant manic phase where he was happy and busy organizing and cleaning, but that would inevitably lead to about a week of clinical depression. The alcohol would always deepen the depression leading to bouts of sobbing and irrational anger that would break Lana's heart when she would try to intervene—she gave so much, sacrificed so much and during these dark periods got so little in return.

We all loved him, but Lana and Luke had a special connection. Lana recognized some of Luke's Aspergers traits in her, but somehow she was able to use them as jet fuel to energize her remarkably dynamic and productive life. Recognizing that...there but for the grace of God go I...Lana was prepared to make any sacrifice to be there for her beloved brother, and much like the committed marriage of her parents, till death do us part.

Communicating on the phone with Luke most every day, often multiple times each day, and being physically with him several times each week, Lana would take Luke shopping, help him manage living in the family home alone after our parents passed, keep up with repairs, and pay his bills. I was at her side for much of the caregiving that went into keeping Luke relatively stable, but I lived 30 miles away meaning Lana, who was just minutes from our original family homestead, willingly carried the brunt of the burden.

On one particularly difficult weekend for Luke, he had bottomed out, started drinking, went to a bar where he knew some of the patrons, and called Lana.

"Yeah...hey...it's me...I'm at Max's Pub. I probably shouldn't drive home...no...I better not..." Luke managed to get out, slurring his words.

At times like this Luke's native exceptional Aspergers intelligence saved him from what could have been a much worse outcome. First of all he was born into a family composed of all very smart and talented people. Add to that genetic advantage, his family members always provided him with role models that encouraged him to also lead a productive, disciplined life as a respected member of society.

Of course, Luke struggled in that department, but my point is that with such role models and the consistent support of the people in his life who loved him unconditionally, Luke may very well have ended up living the best possible life given the degree of his mental illness. Is he normal, no? Then again, would any of us be considered normal if the world knew our deepest secrets?