Prologue

The war had come without warning, like a storm that devoured everything in its path. It swept through villages and cities alike, leaving behind smoldering ruins and broken lives. What had once been a peaceful land, full of laughter and promise, was now a place where hope struggled to survive.

Elena had witnessed the transformation with her own eyes. Her village, once vibrant with color and the sounds of daily life, now stood hollowed out by fear. The laughter of children had been replaced by the cries of the wounded. The fields, once lush and green, were now battlegrounds, littered with the remnants of lives cut short. Every day, she woke to the sound of despair-the whispers of those who had lost everything, the distant echoes of war marching ever closer.

For Elena, it had started small. First, her father had left to join the fight, never to return. Then her mother fell ill, a sickness that lingered without relief. Her younger brother, Tomas, was growing restless, angry at the world and itching to join the resistance. It was as though everything she loved was slowly slipping through her fingers, one piece at a time.

The forest became her refuge. Beneath the towering trees and away from the sorrow of the village, Elena found a sliver of peace. But even here, she could not escape the weight of her burdens. With every day that passed, the war crept closer, threatening to tear apart what little remained.

But the night she found him-Lucas, the soldier who appeared like a ghost from the battlefield-something shifted. His arrival was a mystery, his wounds a testament to battles unknown. In that fleeting moment, as she knelt beside his broken form, Elena felt the stirrings of fate, an invisible thread that pulled her toward him. She didn't know who he was or why he had come, but in her heart, she knew this encounter was no accident.

In a world where survival was the only certainty, Lucas's presence would soon challenge everything Elena thought she knew-about the war, about her family, and about herself.

The storm had come. But perhaps, within its chaos, there was still a chance for hope to bloom once more.