CHAPTER SIX: The Unraveling Truth

My heart raced as I scrambled to my feet, rubbing my wrists where the ropes had chafed my skin. The woman’s presence was both intimidating and reassuring. She had saved me, but I was filled with questions I needed answers to.

“Who are you?” I asked again, my voice shaky. “And why did you save me?”

The woman was scanning the room, her demeanor calm and collected as she gestured for me to follow her. “We don’t have much time. My name is Evelyn, and I work for a group that’s been tracking those who are after you. We’ve been waiting for an opportunity to get you out.”

“Tracking them?” I repeated, disbelief flooding my voice. “Why? Who are you?”

Evelyn’s eyes softened, but only for a moment. “We’re trying to stop them from getting their hands on the evidence your mother left behind. Your life is at stake, and we can’t let them take you.”

I swallowed hard, piecing together the fragmented information I had. “But how do you know about me? About my mother?”

Evelyn turned to face me, her expression serious. “Your mother was involved in something much bigger than you realize. She uncovered information that could destroy powerful people, and they’ve been hunting her ever since. When she went missing, we believed you were at risk too, which is why we’ve been keeping an eye on you.”

The weight of her words settled heavily on my chest. My mother hadn’t just been a victim; she had been a target, a player in a dangerous game I didn’t fully understand. And now, I was part of it too.

“Is that why you came to the lighthouse?” I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

“Yes. We intercepted communications that led us here. I was sent to retrieve you,” she said, urgency creeping into her tone. “But we need to move now. They’ll be searching for you, and we can’t afford to stay here.”

I nodded, adrenaline coursing through my veins. “Okay. Let’s go.”

---

Evelyn led me through the dilapidated building, moving swiftly and silently. We navigated dark hallways, our footsteps muffled by the thick layer of dust that coated the floor. I could hear the distant sounds of chaos outside—the shouts of men, the thud of boots against the ground—but Evelyn seemed unfazed, her focus sharp.

As we reached a back exit, she paused, glancing around before pushing the door open. “Stay close to me,” she instructed. “We’ll take the alleyway behind the building. It’ll lead us to my vehicle.”

We stepped outside, and the cool air hit me like a wave. The rain had intensified, pouring down in sheets, but I didn’t care. I was free, and for the first time in what felt like an eternity, I had hope.

We dashed through the alley, the sound of gunfire echoing behind us. I kept my head down, adrenaline pushing me forward as we maneuvered around trash cans and debris. Just when I thought we were in the clear, the sound of footsteps came from behind us, rapid and relentless.

“Run!” Evelyn shouted, pulling me along.

I sprinted faster, my lungs burning as I pushed myself to keep up. The rain made the ground slick, but Evelyn’s grip was firm. As we reached the end of the alley, I could see the street ahead—dimly lit, with cars parked haphazardly.

“There!” she yelled, pointing toward a nondescript van parked across the street. “Get in!”

We darted across the road, and as we reached the van, Evelyn yanked the door open and shoved me inside before climbing in after me. She quickly locked the doors and fired up the engine.