Chapter 1

It was the first day I left the castle. I can remember it as if it were yesterday. I can picture, quite clearly. The sound of my hooves on the soft grass. The sight of the blinding sun in my eyes. The sound of the men arguing. It was the best and worst day of my life.

"We are to depart soon." My mother had told me. "The king's son convinced him to bring you along, saying to give the poor foal a chance." My mother, a large, beautiful mare, said to me that morning. I myself am a brown stallion, just like my father, who was given to one of the lords by the king soon after my birth. "I am not, a young foal. I am a mature Yearling." I had said, in a matter-of-fact tone. I realise, now, how snarky I had acted towards the humans when with my mother. I feel no sorrow, however. "I know you are, Apollo, but he is just a child, like you. Humans mature slower than us, you see." She comforted.

Soon after, my mother was saddled. The king's wife mounted her, and afterwards the prince climbed on after. Then, the king and his men got on their horses, and I had a leash put on, which was to be held by the king's guard. We left the castle soon after, and arrived in the woods. It was a pleasant journey, and I quite enjoyed myself. Until...

Twang. Twang. We were ambushed by rebels from all directions. One of their arrows impaled my mother. The second cutting me from my leash. I watched in horror as my mother collapsed. The Prince was swept up by the king who began to retreat with his men, leaving the queen and myself. The queen ran in their direction, but was shot in the back. She slumped but kept running, she was shot twice more, before she died. The bandits then tried to catch me but I dodged them. I ran deep into the woods, before finding a small cave to sleep in.