Chapter 1

In a town where secrets were whispered with the sweetness of honey, Annie Faye Carter had learned one thing: trust was a luxury she couldn't afford.
It's a typical morning at the Sit-N-Spill, but there's an undercurrent of tension. Annie is well aware of the rumors circulating about underhanded deals and land grabs being made by the local government. The town gossip mill has been working overtime lately and with a business where more than the tea in people's cups gets spilled it was only a matter of time before word got back to her.
Annie Faye moved with purpose behind the counter of her tea bar, her hands steady as she measured out the loose-leaf blend for Mrs. Beasley's morning tea. The bright floral scent of chamomile drifted through the air, but her thoughts were focused elsewhere—on the city council's latest move.
The bell above the door jingled, and in stepped a foreboding shadow that made her stomach tighten. One that belonged to none other than Councilman Davis. His dark suit and polished shoes felt out of place against the backdrop of her cozy shop, but he wore them like armor.
Annie forced a polite smile, but otherwise remained stoic. "Morning, Councilman Davis. What can I get for you today?"
"Just a coffee, black." His tone was casual, but Annie knew better. She could see the thinly veiled curiosity in his eyes as they scanned the shop. He was looking for something—maybe a sign of struggle or weakness, any minuscule detail he could twist to use to his advantage. But he'd find none of that here.
She moved to prepare his drink, keeping her posture relaxed, but her mind was racing. She'd been raised to protect what mattered, and right now, nothing mattered more than keeping her family's land out of the city's hands.
"Busy day?" Davis asked, his voice smooth but probing.
Annie didn't flinch. "Steady enough," she clipped, lacking her usual genuineness, as she sat the steaming cup of coffee in front of him. She met his gaze head-on, her expression unreadable. "Anything else I can do for you?"
Councilman Davis took the coffee, his fingers lingering on the edge of the cup as if debating his next words. "You've built quite a nice little business here, Miss Carter," he said, his smile never quite reaching his eyes. "No doubt about it, you've got a prime location here." his words thickly laced with double meaning.

Annie's jaw clenched for a moment before she forced it to relax. She had heard the veiled threats before, but hearing it from Davis, who once may have been considered an ally, made it all the more real. "We're doing just fine, Councilman," she replied coolly. "But thanks for your concern."
Davis sipped his coffee, his eyes not leaving hers. "I'm sure you are, but the town is changing. And change, well, it's inevitable. We all have to adapt, don't we?"
Annie leaned against the counter, her arms crossed. "I'd say Liberty Rose has done just fine without needing too much change. But I suppose some folks don't see it that way."
He let out a low chuckle, setting the cup down. "That's where we differ, Miss Carter. It's not just about seeing it that way—it's about making it happen. You could be part of that change, you know."
Annie tilted her head slightly, her voice steady as she responded, "I think I'll stick with tradition. It's served us pretty well so far."
Councilman Davis stood up, adjusting his jacket. "For now, perhaps. But I'd keep my options open if I were you." He gave her a nod, turned, and made his way out of the shop, the doorbell jingling in his wake before giving her a chance to respond.
Annie released the breath she hadn't realized she was holding. She watched through the window as Davis's sleek car pulled away from the curb. The fight had only just begun, and she could feel the weight of it pressing down on her shoulders. But this was her home, her family's land, and no smooth-talking councilman was going to take that away without a fight.
As the door swung open again, this time it revealed Aubrey, Annie's high school best friend. With her tall frame and striking red hair, she was hard to miss, and with her strong spitfire personality she had an unmistakable presence. Aubrey slipped off her leather jacket, eyes scanning the tea bar as she approached the counter.
"Was that Councilman Davis I saw walking out of here, looking smug as always?" Aubrey asked, her voice sharp with sarcasm, but her concern obvious.
Annie nodded, pouring herself a fresh cup of tea. "Yep. He's still pushing, trying to get a rise out of me."
Aubrey raised an eyebrow, settling onto the bar stool across from Annie. "And you let him leave in one piece? Impressive restraint. He'd better be glad I wasn't here five minutes earlier."
Annie smirked, but there was an edge to her voice. "He's getting too comfortable. Acting like this whole thing is already over."
Aubrey leaned forward, her expression softening. "He underestimates you. We've been through worse, remember? You're not going down without a fight. And you've got me—always."