Chapter 2

The city was alive with its usual chaos—car horns blaring, neon signs flickering against the twilight sky, and people rushing through the crowded streets. Sa gitna ng lahat ng gulo, nasa loob ng patrol car sina Engfa at Patcha, naka-park sa medyo madilim na parte ng isang kalye sa Maynila.

"Eng, are you sure hindi ka gutom? May oras pa para bumili ng kape," Patcha teased as she leaned back in her seat, trying to get comfortable.

Engfa shot her a look, hands steady on the steering wheel. "Hindi ito coffee run, Patcha. This is a stakeout. Focus."

Patcha grinned, tilting her head toward her partner. "Alam mo, hindi ko alam kung paano mo nasasabayan ang intense personality mo sa trabaho. Relax ka naman minsan!"

"Walang 'relax' kapag nasa trabaho," Engfa replied, her eyes still scanning the area outside.

This stakeout was part of their plan to catch the suspect in the series of burglaries that had plagued the downtown area. Kung tama ang kanilang hinala, lalabas ang suspect mamayang gabi. Engfa's instincts were sharp—she trusted them, but there was always a nagging sense of uncertainty that came with waiting.

"Mas ok sana kung kasama si Charlotte dito, 'no?" Patcha said slyly, a teasing grin on her face. "Para medyo kumpleto ang team natin."

Engfa didn't respond right away, keeping her focus outside the window. She hated how the mention of Charlotte's name made her heart race ever so slightly. "She's in the lab, doing what she's supposed to do," Engfa muttered, more to herself than to Patcha.

"Sure. Pero admit it—natuwa ka na kasama natin siya sa case na 'to," Patcha teased. "May something 'yon."

Engfa shot her a glare. "Patcha. Focus."

"Okay, okay!" Patcha raised her hands in mock surrender, though her grin didn't disappear.

An hour passed, then two. Silence hung heavy between them, punctuated only by the occasional murmur from their radios. The neighborhood was eerily quiet, save for the occasional tricycle humming in the distance.

Just as Engfa was about to lean back and stretch, a shadow moved at the corner of the street, just near their suspect's house.

"P'cha. Tingnan mo 'yon." Engfa's voice was low, but her words carried urgency.

Patcha immediately perked up, shifting forward in her seat. A figure—wearing a hoodie, just like the neighbors had described—crept toward the house they were watching.

"Bingo," Patcha whispered, excitement lacing her voice.

Engfa's grip on the wheel tightened. "Ito na. Tawagan mo ang backup."

Patcha grabbed the radio and quickly relayed the situation. "Unit 52 to HQ, we have visual on the suspect. Requesting immediate backup."

The figure moved closer to the house, crouching by one of the windows. Engfa's pulse quickened as she watched him. There was always a risk with these stakeouts—the suspect could flee, or worse, things could go south in a heartbeat.

"Eng, kaya ba nating hintayin ang backup?" Patcha asked, concern flickering in her voice.

Engfa's jaw tightened. "Kailangan natin siyang mahuli ngayon. Kung tumakas 'to, babalik ulit sa dati ang problema."

Without waiting for backup, Engfa opened the car door quietly, signaling for Patcha to follow. The cool night air brushed against her skin as they moved stealthily toward the house.

"Dahan-dahan lang," Engfa whispered as they closed in on the suspect.

Nasa likod na sila ng puno malapit sa bahay nang biglang nagbukas ang pinto at may sumigaw mula sa loob.

"Hoy! Sino ka?!" an old man's voice barked.

The suspect bolted—exactly what Engfa feared.

"Takbo!" Engfa shouted, sprinting after the figure.

The suspect was fast, weaving through narrow alleys and hurdling over low fences. Pero hindi papatalo si Engfa. Her heart pounded in her chest as she pushed herself harder, the thrill of the chase surging through her veins.

"Eng, kaliwa siya!" Patcha shouted from behind.

Engfa swerved into a side street, her eyes locked on the suspect just a few meters ahead. They were gaining on him—slowly but surely. Sa isang sulok, muntik na siyang madapa, pero hindi siya nagpaawat.

"Tumigil ka!" Engfa yelled, her voice sharp and commanding.

The suspect glanced back, panic flashing in his eyes. That split-second distraction was all Engfa needed. With a burst of speed, she lunged forward and tackled the man to the ground.

Patcha arrived moments later, helping Engfa restrain the suspect. "Nice one, Eng! May pang-capture ka pala ng sprinter," Patcha teased, panting.

"Salamat," Engfa said dryly as she cuffed the man. "Ang bilis mo, ha? Pero hindi sapat."

Back at the precinct, Engfa and Patcha dragged the suspect to the interrogation room. Pagkatapos ma-turnover sa ibang officers, they made their way to the forensics lab, where Charlotte was waiting.

Charlotte looked up from her microscope as they entered, her eyes lighting up at the sight of Engfa. "How did it go?"

Engfa shrugged, though the adrenaline was still coursing through her veins. "We got him. Pagod, pero worth it."

Charlotte smiled softly. "Good job. I'll analyze the evidence we have from the scene to see if everything checks out."

Engfa nodded, feeling that strange warmth in her chest again. "Thanks, Charlotte. We couldn't have done it without you."

Patcha cleared her throat dramatically, grinning from ear to ear. "Ahem. Ako din, by the way. I exist."

Both Charlotte and Engfa laughed, the tension easing between them.

As Charlotte turned back to her workstation, Engfa found herself lingering a bit longer than necessary. There was something about the way Charlotte worked—focused, efficient, yet kind—that drew her in.

"Need anything else?" Charlotte asked, glancing at Engfa over her shoulder.

Engfa shook her head, forcing herself to look away. "No. Just... keep me posted."

Charlotte's soft smile lingered as she nodded. "Of course."

Later that night, as Engfa and Patcha sat in the break room, sipping coffee and waiting for updates, Patcha couldn't resist teasing her partner.

"Eng, aminin mo na," Patcha said with a grin. "Kinikilig ka kay Charlotte."

Engfa scowled. "Anong kinikilig? Trabaho 'to."

Patcha chuckled. "Trabaho nga... pero ibang klase yung tingin mo sa kanya."

Engfa opened her mouth to protest but closed it again, realizing she didn't have a solid comeback. There was truth in Patcha's words, even if she wasn't ready to admit it just yet.

The night wore on, but Engfa couldn't shake the feeling that something important was shifting—not just with the case, but between her and Charlotte.

Maybe, just maybe, things were about to get a lot more complicated. And for the first time in a long while, Engfa didn't mind.

A/N: Please do vote for my story! Hope you like it