"rank no.1 kang taehyun." beomgyu grits, as he watches taehyun swiftly take his report card that was in his palm. 

"let's congratulate taehyun and beomgyu once again for placing 1st and 2nd in the cohort! everyone should be as dedicated and consistent..." 

beomgyu cancels out their teacher giving the same monologue that she always does whenever a new test score had been released. 

"try harder next time class president, maybe then you'll manage to take my spot." taehyun said solemnly but the slight twitch of his lips gave him away. 

bastard

the two of them were standing at the front of the classroom with their score sheets in their hands. 

"do you ever shut up?" beomgyu snarks, as his eyes scan his test paper looking at the mistake he made. 

taehyun clicked his tongue, "thought you liked my smart mouth?" 

 beomgyu looked directly into his eyes, taking a step forward he mutters, "yeah i do. when it's shut." 

bumping hard against the younger's shoulder, beomgyu slumps into his chair, the day ruined by the test scores. the rest of the lesson had gone by in a blur because beomgyu couldn't be bothered paying attention. 

it was a careless fucking mistake. beomgyu groaned, shoving his marked test paper into his bag hoping it somehow disintegrates in there. 

"beomgyu, let's go eat! heard that JIN'S bakery has a pop-up in school today," his best friend from class 2 comes stumbling in from next door. 

soobin takes a once over a beomgyu's face. "who pissed in your cereal?" 

just then, soobin finds taehyun sitting at the back. "hi taehyun-ah!"

beomgyu kicks soobin's shin. 

"what the fuck was that for?" 

"why are you talking to my mortal enemy?" 

beomgyu plants his face on the table as he senses taehyun nearing them. 

"hi hyung, haven't seen you at the headquarters in a while," taehyun smiles. 

beomgyu retches. 

"need a plastic bag hyung? don't want you to stink up the classroom with your putrid vomit," taehyun puts on his pretentious facade. 

rolling his eyes, beomgyu grabs soobin's wrist, "let's go i'm hungry too." 

soobin startles, "yah! i didn't even get to talk to taehyun!" as he lets himself get dragged to the cafeteria. 

"how could you be friends with that smartass?" 

soobin sighs, "taehyun is nice beomgyu and remember i interned at his company last summer?" 

beomgyu munches on the bread he had obtained, choosing to ignore what soobin had uttered moments earlier. soobin's eyes flicker to the few staff behind beomgyu. 

"what are you reading– oh." beomgyu turns around to see the new rankings being plastered on the wall. 

"now, i understand why you've been extra grumpy today. huh taehyun got first again." 

"ugh don't remind me, now he's going to think he's the shit until the next round of exams come by." beomgyu groans. 

"to think you've been at each other's throats since well the beginning of time is insane and that you are competing with a boy younger than you. pettily i might add." 

yes, taehyun had skipped a year for being too smart. that jerk. 

"and to think i have that stupid gala to attend this weekend." 

"what? i thought you liked galas since socialising is your forte after all," soobin asked confused. 

"well, this time it's going to be a taehyun praise party once my parents get to know his grades and well, see him at the event, it's going to be 'oh taehyun-ah is such a smart boy.' and a 'taehyun-ah you give beomgyu tips and tricks to study better he's always fooling around' god i can feel the misery already." 

the bell rings. 

"well i hope you have a spectacular time at the gala," soobin snickers, knowing that its going to be the complete opposite. 

L