Chapter 7

Kaelen's navy tail flickered lazily in the water, the shimmering scales reflecting the soft glow form the bioluminescent algae lining the cave walls. He watched Aria intently, perched on the edge of the pool, her legs dangling in the cold water. His usually intense gaze was softened by something almost... tender, though the possessiveness that always lingered beneath the surface remained.

For the first time in days, Kaelen seemed to relax. Aria had noticed the small changes – how he hovered less obsessively near her and gave her just a little more space whenever he was around. Ever since she had given in and started eating the food her provided, his mood has shifted. He was more playful now, less on edge. And today, there was a sparkle of excitement in his eyes, as though he were bursting to share something with her.

"Alaria," he stated, his voice rich and melodious in the stillness of the cave. His tone was different today – lighter, more inviting – as if he were coaxing her into conversation. He waved her over to the edge of the pool, his long tail swishing in the water as if to beckon her closer.

Aria sighed, half reluctant, half curious. She'd been trying to keep her distance – both emotionally and physically. But it was difficult. Kaelen was relentless both in devotion and in his unpredictability. But as days passed, with no one else to talk to and nothing else to occupy her mind, she found herself drawn into these strange little moments. It was easier to give in – if only to avoid going insane form isolation.

"Kaelen..." she murmured, drawing her legs up and hugging them to her chest. She still wasn't entirely comfortable around him, but there was a familiarity now. He tilted his head at her soft tone, his expression expectant.

He pointed to the water again. "Lunara," he said, repeating a word she had learned from him a few days ago. His fingers danced in the air, gesturing to the waves that lapped gently at the rock wall inside the cave.

Aria frowned, her mind racing as she tried to recall the meaning. Ocean, her mind filled in. She repeated the word as she herself pointed to the water her feet paddled in. Kaelen beamed, his entire face lighting up at her response. His joy was almost infectious, and for a brief moment, she couldn't help but smile back. It was hard not to, especially when he looked at her with such childlike excitement, like he was proud of her.

Kaelen moved closer, his tail sending ripples through the water. "Lunara," he repeated, his voice bright. Then he tapped his chest. "Kaelen."

Aria raised an eyebrow. She knew his name already. But she paused and cocked her head to the side. Was he telling her about himself? She gestured for him to continue, genuinely curious now.

He learned in, his voice soft but eager. "Neridia," he said, pointing towards the distant opening of the cave – beyond the cave. "Tela." She knew that word. Home. Aria remembered yelling at him after learning the word, telling him home was out of the cave – on the surface. But he had pointedly scolded her and refused to hear anything else on the topic.

"Neridia?" Aria echoed, furrowing her brow.

Kaelen's eyes glimmered with excitement. He nodded enthusiastically, pointing to his chest again. "Neridia. My home."

Aria could make out the sentence Kaelen spoke in his language easily. Kaelen made a grand gesture with his hands, as if trying to encompass the whole world in that one word. "Opar," he added, his arms spreading wide. Big. He was telling her his home was big.

"Ril opar?" She asked with a grin, mimicking his gesture.

As he tried to explain, his words tumbled out faster. He gestured around, as if tracing something vast in the air. His fingers danced rapidly, too quick for her to follow.