Chapter 1- The night before my birthday

I wake up to an annoying buzzing sound as momma prepares herself for another dreadful day at the bar. I had worked all last night and Lord knows we were packed so my body is still tired. Momma has tried to offer me to take day shifts but I shook it off. It wouldn't be fair to her, plus I'm 26 turning 27 tomorrow. I haven't even gotten my own place yet so I need the money. Momma doesn't seem to mind though, she claims to need the company which I get it.

   After all, daddy has been gone for 46 years now, so I'm all she has (outside of my Aunt and cousin of course). But it is not the same, I'm an only child so it's rough not just on her but also on me. When daddy left, I made sure to do my part and assist my mother with bills and extra things. When I turned 16 and had gotten a more paying job, I dropped out just so I could help momma more. I never got to go to college and experience "A Tess and Hardin story.".

"Keyley!"

Groaning I get my lazy ass out of bed.

   I make my way to momma's room only to find her slim firm blonde headed figure standing in front of her mirror, her eyes wide open as she gently applies mascara on "Keyley, honey, are you sure you don't want the night off? I can make a call and-". Shaking my head I cut her off, "No momma, I am fine. I am going to work tonight now and stop asking questions about it."

   I love my mom but sometimes she worries too much. She sighs and nods as I walk out of her room to my own and begin to get ready for work.

***2 hours later***

   We are working at the bar and I am making a whiskey on rocks and momma breaks the silence as she cleans a glass, "anything specific you want for your birthday?". I smile and shake my head. Yeah even though I'm turning 27, momma still likes to buy me gifts. She sighs and turns to me putting up the clean glasses "I heard Hero is going to be in NY for a red carpet event..." I snicker and shake my head but I see mums expression of confusion and slight hurt and I school my expression of seriousness and sigh handing the whiskey on rocks to a blonde "Momma... I would go.. but I can't afford it...and I don't want you paying for it so... No.."

    Momma has always wanted me to meet Hero since she found out about my huge crush on him. I have every 'After' book, A 'West Ham' jersey with the name "Tiffin" across the back and I even watch every live he makes, well I join. She sighs "you are too sweet and caring, I love you" and she kisses my head. I smile and hug her before I go back to making drinks.

   And about an hour later, momma takes over my shift leaving me to do my own thing. I feel guilty for not helping her but she insists on me taking a break. I sigh in defeat and make my way over to a secluded booth and begin to read 'After We Fell' by none other than my favorite author Anna Todd....

   Too invested in reading, I don't even notice him... Walking into the bar... No clue the words my mother would speak would change everything..