Chapter 2

"I don't want soup for dinner again!" My sister, Britney, pouted. "How was school?" My mom asked, ignoring my sister. "Absolutely horrible," I replied. "Why?" "Just because, you know what I mean?" "Yes. Yes, I do. But try to fit in more, okay?" I just lost it. "FIT IN!?! I CAN'T FIT IN IF I TRY!!! THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS!!! I stomped over to our only bedroom and slammed the door. I just want to somehow help us, I thought. As I was saying, you don't try to fit in. You either do or you don't. Basically you're handpicked. You get lucky by doing something cool, and now you're cool somehow.

Yeah.

My mom opened the door and poked her head in. "Fred, we soon won't be able to pay for your school. I know it's been rough, but you need to-" An ad comes on the tv: "DO YOU NEED MONEY? WELL, LUCKILY, WE ARE HOSTING A CHALLENGE ON MARINA ISLAND, AND WE'VE HIDDEN TEN MILLION DOLLARS IN A SPECIAL BRIEFCASE ON THE ISLAND! CAST YOUR NAME AND NUMBER ON OUR SITE TO HAVE A CHANCE AT $10,000,000! THERE ARE ONLY TEN SLOTS, SO ENTER YOUR NAME BY JUNE 1ST! GOOD LUCK AT THE ONE AND ONLY MILLIONAIRE CHALLENGE!!!

I looked at my mom. She looked back. I think she was thinking what I was thinking.