one

Noctis charged at her, fierce and determined, like he had something to prove. The arnis in his hand sliced through the air with a sharp hiss, aiming straight for Eiko.

But she was ready. She was always ready.

With a quick move, the red-haired woman dodged. It wasn’t even close. She was already calculating her next move, reading his body like a map she’d traveled a thousand times.

And then, before he could even blink, she struck. Her hand found his neck, just the right spot to drop him. And drop him it did.

Noctis hit the ground hard, coughing, pain twisting his face as he gasped for air.

But even through the coughs, he managed a weak thumbs up. Classic Noctis, always trying to be tough even when he’s down.

Eiko just shook her head, letting out a small breath as she reached her hand out to him. She wasn’t smiling, but the tension in her shoulders eased when he grabbed her hand.

She could feel the weight of his struggle in that grip. The fight had taken a lot out of him, but he still had that damn smile on his face.

“You’re improving, Your Majesty.” Her voice was steady, calm.

It was always like that after a fight—like a switch flipped and she could pretend nothing rattled her. She respected his effort, but she couldn’t afford to show too much. That wasn’t her role. Not anymore.

Noctis just shrugged, brushing off the praise like it didn’t matter. “My trainer is pretty tough, but… undeniably effective.”

He flashed her that grateful smile, the kind that almost made her forget she was his Glaive and not just some friend. “I’m glad my father chose you.”

Eiko bowed slightly, her gaze dropping to the ground for just a moment. She hated compliments. They didn’t sit right with her, especially when she felt like she didn’t deserve them.

“It’s my duty,” she said, her voice soft but firm. “To protect you, your family. I’m here to guard the Chosen King, even if it means sacrificing my life.”

That last part came out harder than she wanted, but it was the truth. She’d been trained for this her whole life. The thought of dying in battle wasn’t scary anymore—it was just expected.

Noctis, though, he didn’t take it the way she thought he would. His eyes widened, and then he laughed, a soft chuckle like she’d said something ridiculous. “What? Are you serious? No way I’m letting anyone die before me.”

Eiko just looked at him. The fire in his eyes, that stubborn belief that he could protect everyone, it made her sad. She admired it, sure, but deep down she knew better.

She’d been fighting since she was a kid, a nameless orphan who’d been trained to defend Lucis.

And for what? To stand here, watching over a prince who still didn’t understand the cost of the path he was on.

“I’ll become stronger,” Noctis said, his voice breaking through her thoughts. “I’ll protect everyone. So no one has to protect me anymore.”

Eiko’s heart ached at that. She wanted to believe him, wanted to see him become the king he was destined to be.

But she couldn’t shake the weight of the reality she carried with her—the fights, the scars, the losses she’d endured to protect people like him.

She didn’t say anything. Just stared at him with that same look she always had—sadness mixed with resolve.

Noctis didn’t understand it yet, but one day he would. She just hoped that when that day came, he wouldn’t break under the weight of it all.