Chapter Two: Foreshadowing

~~~~

   Two days before they deployed, Helena sat in the barracks, lacing up her boots. John entered, carrying two mugs of coffee. He handed her one with a small smile that crinkled the corners of his sharp green eyes.

"Thought you could use some caffeine" he said, settling down next to her on the bench.

"Always" she replied, taking a sip. The strong bitterness of military coffee was something she never got used to, but it kept her sharp.

"You've been quiet" John noted, his tone more serious now. "What's going on in that head of yours?" he continued

Helena looked at him, wondering how he always saw straight through her. "This mission feels wrong," she admitted "Everything's too clean. The target's location, the timeline...it doesn't add up. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it feels like a trap."

John studied her for a moment, then nodded. "If you think something's off, we'll be on high alert. Trust your gut."

Helena appreciated how he never doubted her instincts. "I just can't shake it. I don't want to lose anyone out there. Not this time."

He placed his hand over hers, a rare gesture of intimacy in their professional world. "You won't. We'll get through this, just like we always do."

She wanted to believe him. She wanted to feel the confidence he radiated. But something in her gut told her this time would be different.

~~~~~~~~~\\\~~~~~~~~\\\~~~~~~~~

this was a bit short i know...

Hope you like it though.Don't forget to vote if you did and comment.

Enjoy😘