Chapter 1

Chapter 1

One Year Later

Present Time

(Shayla)

I scrambled around my little apartment looking for my keys. Today was my first day in law school and the first day of my internship. I have the amazing opportunity of assisting a criminal defense lawyer. Today needs to be perfect. Today is also the day I escaped my abusive relationship last year. After the pharmacist called the police, I was taken to the hospital. I told the police I didn't want to press charges. I didn't want to make him angry. Getting him locked up would make things worse. I just wanted out of my relationship with him. I was placed into a woman shelter and they helped me get my life on track. The pharmacist was also very helpful. We became her best friends. Her sister in law happens to be the lawyer I will be working for. She's the one that got me the internship. Her name is Kira and she's married to my boss younger brother. Kira has been amazing and I'm grateful for all she done for me. Anyways, I found my keys on the kitchen counter. I hurried out the door and down the stairs. Once my uber arrived to the campus, I raced inside the building. I entered the lecture hall only to see a woman sitting at the desk. "I'm sorry to bother you but is this Criminal Defense 101 I asked. "That's what it said on the door" the women said sounding annoyed. "I'm Shayla" I said while holding out my hand. "That's funny because I'm supposed to be getting a new assistant today with the exact same name" the women said. She shuck my hand then told me take a seat. I sat in the front like I always did when I went to school. I need my professor who is also my boss to like me. Also I don't want to piss Kira off by getting on the wrong side of her sister in law. Speaking of Kira she walked into the classroom holding a cup of coffee and didn't notice me. "Here you go and now I shall be on my way. My shift starts at three and its a half hour till four Kira said. My professor told her get going then she finally noticed me. " Hey girl what's up? I was going to call you in my car and wish you good luck on your first day here and with the internship. Sis this is the girl I was telling you about. She's the women I helped last year" Kira said excitedly. "I appreciate it and thank you so much." She hugged me tightly and waved to her sister then skipped out of the classroom. "What made you want to study law" the professor asked while sipping her coffee and sitting down next to me. Now that she was closer I noticed some tattoos near her neckline. She was tall for a women. She was muscular and had a sexy caramel complexion. You could see her arms were covered in tattoos underneath her white, long sleeved blouse. She was wearing tight black jeans. It hugged her waist nicely. This professor was a beautiful woman. I began to like women while I was in the shelter. Besides men were never good to me anyways. The sound of her giggling brought me back to reality. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to stare" I said. She told me its all good then there was a quick moment of silence. "My mom was killed by my dad and after everything the system put me through, I decided I wanted to be a lawyer and fight for people. The system failed me and no one fought for my mom even though she didn't help herself" I explained. She was about to say something but a group of people walked in. She walked back to her desk and by four the classroom was filled up. She shut the door then whistled loudly getting everyone's attention. "I'm professor Jacobs and this is criminal defense 101. Some of you might know me but for those who don't, I'm the best criminal defense lawyer in town. I won all of my cases and I been in the business for nineteen years now. My class is all about teaching you future lawyers how to get away with a crime or how to get your client justice. For those of you that are wondering about the intern position, the spot is already filled so don't ask. My only rules for this class is leave your personal life at the door. I don't care if your relationship ended, you lost your job or none of that bullshit. I'm not paid to listen to your sob stories. That's what the school therapist is for. I'm here to teach. I do not give a damn if you're late. If you are going to be late use the back door and come in quietly. You will not have a test in my class unless you piss me off. An internship is also required an there are other available positions at my law firm; for more information see me after class. Lastly we're all grown and I used to be a student myself. I know sometimes you might fail or want a better grade. It might work with other professors but with me you will not be able to fuck your way out of a bad grade or into getting a better one. All of my grades are finally. Are there any questions " professor Jacobs explained. Just as she was about to continue talking the guy sitting next to me raised his hand. "So what you're saying is you won't change our grade but there's still a chance we can smash" the guy said making a few other men laugh. I rolled my eyes and other women didn't find his question funny either. "I like pussy not bitches. Considering you ask a questions like that, I'm sure you don't get either" professor Jacobs responded. Everyone laughed but him. He crossed his arms then she got on with her first lesson.