1. Getting started | Simplified Overview of the design process

Given the widespread appeal of warships in film, games, and animation, it's no wonder millions aspire to design their own. However, creating a realistic design is more than sketching out a concept. It requires a careful, step-by-step approach, rooted in practical calculations and a solid understanding of shipbuilding fundamentals.

Here's an outline of the steps involved:

Step 1: Initial Calculations for Displacement

The first task is calculating the ship's displacement-the weight of water it will displace, which must match the intended weight of the vessel. Start by estimating the combined weight of all planned weapon systems and onboard assets. Multiply this weight by 20 to give a baseline for displacement. Remember, if the ship includes helicopters, each one adds around 150 tons; jet aircraft are double that.

Capital ships (such as aircraft carriers and heavy cruisers) may allocate up to one-third of their displacement to weapon systems. However, due to their size and cost, these ships are beyond the scope of private design for most individuals or entities.

Step 2: Determining the Prismatic Volume Box

Next, establish the ship's overall size box using the formula:

(3√(Displacement*CB))*166

This calculation provides a key dimension you can then use to estimate the Beam (width of the hull), Draft (depth below the waterline), Length Overall (LOA), and Freeboard (visible height above water). In this formula, CB represents the Block Coefficient, which reflects the hull's general shape and sleekness. This calculation forms a base for determining dimensions that fit within a specific displacement, giving a sense of the vessel's final size in terms of tons.

Note: Displacement is measured in tons for practicality-speaking in terms of "millions of kilograms" is uncommon in ship design, as it's neither professional nor efficient.

Designers should also consider the size constraints of canals, rivers, and harbors, which may limit the vessel's maximum dimensions. Exceeding these size limitations will prevent the ship from navigating certain waterways.

Step 3: Creating the Linesplan

The next phase is creating the Linesplan, a technical drawing that maps the hull's topography. Think of it as a coordinate grid that defines the curves and contours of the hull, essential for producing accurate hull shapes. A Linesplan is like connecting the dots between coordinates derived from precise measurements, forming a foundation for further structural and engineering work.

Step 4: Drawing the General Arrangement

Once the hull form is established, it's time to draft the General Arrangement, or the layout of the ship. This involves creating "floor plans" for each deck, detailing where various rooms, corridors, and systems are located, akin to drafting a building's floor plan.

Step 5: Submitting Your Design

After refining the design, the final step is to submit your work. Each country has different processes, but generally, it involves filling out specific forms and submitting your designs to patent offices or relevant authorities for intellectual property rights and recognition of your vessel design.

---

This outline simplifies a highly complex process, but these steps capture the essence of ship design. In the following chapters, we'll explore ship types to help you understand which ones might suit your goals. Warships, for example, are often mistakenly referred to as "battleships." However, "battleship" is a specific class, not a general term for all combat vessels.

With these foundational steps in mind, you'll be better prepared to dive deeper into the art and science of ship design.