Introduction

This book provides a concise yet informative look at the design of small, cost-effective naval vessels under 2,000 tons. It’s intended not as a substitute for professional design methods, but as a companion guide for those with an interest in naval architecture and engineering drafting or those simply curious about the elements that go into crafting a combat-ready vessel.

While this book is entirely legal and adheres to public domain knowledge, it's worth noting the substantial costs involved in real-world naval shipbuilding. For example, the typical surface combatant—a focus of this book—has a ballpark cost of about $100,000 per ton, with upkeep costs amounting to around 10% of that initial cost annually. Furthermore, constructing such vessels requires navigating extensive legal agreements and regulatory paperwork, making this guide more of an academic reference than a practical toolkit for ship construction.

So, is this book academic in nature? Absolutely.

But if you’re a naval enthusiast, an engineer looking for inspiration, or perhaps even a billionaire seeking a unique alternative to a luxury yacht, this guide will offer you a fascinating glimpse into the foundational principles of small combat vessel design. Welcome to this journey into the world of naval engineering.