2

As the years passed, the once inseparable trio of Jeongguk, Taehyung, and Jimin found themselves drifting apart.
The letters between Jeongguk and Taehyung, once filled with excitement and childhood secrets, began to dwindle. Life, with all its demands and distractions, had a way of pulling them in different directions.

Jeongguk, now 14 years old, was deeply involved in his studies and sports in US. The new environment had gradually become his world, leaving little time to think about the life he had left behind in Korea.
Taehyung, 13 years old, poured his heart into music and art, finding solace in melodies and colors, while Jimin, now a close friend, became a constant presence in his life.

Jimin, who had always harbored a deep affection for both Jeongguk and Taehyung, found himself becoming Taehyung’s pillar of support. He noticed the sadness in Taehyung’s eyes whenever Jeongguk’s letters came less frequently, and it hurt him too.
But rather than expressing his own feelings, he buried them, choosing instead to be the supportive friend that Taehyung needed.

The last letter from Jeongguk had come months ago, and though both Taehyung and Jimin missed their friend dearly, the reality of their growing distance couldn’t be ignored.

Then, one afternoon, while Taehyung and Jimin were practicing a duet for an upcoming school performance, Mr. Park burst into the room, his face ashen. “Taehyung, Jimin, we need to go to the hospital… your mother’s been in an accident.”

The ride to the hospital was tense, with Taehyung staring out the window, trying to hold back the dread creeping into his heart. Jimin sat beside him, his hand gripping Taehyung’s tightly, offering silent comfort.

When they arrived at the hospital, the cold, sterile atmosphere was suffocating. They were led to a small room where Mr. Kim was already waiting, his expression grave. “She’s gone,” he said, his voice breaking.

The world seemed to stop for Taehyung. His mother, the woman who had always been his biggest supporter, was gone. He fell to his knees, tears streaming down his face. “No… No, this can’t be happening,” he whispered, his voice filled with disbelief.

Jimin knelt beside him, pulling Taehyung into a tight embrace. “I’m here, Tae… I’m here,” he whispered, his own tears were rolling on his cheeks.

The day that followed were a blur of grief and numbness. Taehyung found himself wandering aimlessly through the house, unable to escape the overwhelming silence that now filled every room. Jimin stayed by his side, trying to be strong for his friend, but he too was struggling with the loss.
Later evening, as they sat together in the living room, Taehyung broke the silence. “I miss her, Jiminie… I miss mom so much."
Jimin’s heart ached at Taehyung’s words.

Meanwhile, in America, Jeongguk received the news of Mrs. Kim’s passing through a phone call from his mother. The weight of guilt and regret hit him like a tidal wave. Mrs. Kim had been like a second mother to him, and he hadn’t even been there for Taehyung during such a devastating time. He wanted to reach out, to call Taehyung, but the words seemed to escape him. How could he face the boy he had once promised to never forget?

By the news of Mrs. Kim's tragic accident Mr. and Mrs. Jeon, devastated by the loss of their dear friend from school days, decided to return to Korea to pay their respects. The Kims had been more than just friends—they were like family, and Mrs. Kim's passing left a deep void in their hearts.

As they arrived at the funeral, the somber atmosphere weighed heavily on everyone. Taehyung, his eyes swollen from days of crying, stood with his father, greeting the mourners who had come to say their final goodbyes. Though his heart was shattered, a small part of him held onto hope that Jeongguk would walk through the door, offering the comfort that only his childhood friend could provide.

But as the hours passed and more people arrived, there was still no sign of Jeongguk. Taehyung’s heart sank further with each minute that ticked by. Finally, unable to bear the suspense any longer, he overheard someone asking Mrs. Jeon about Jeongguk’s absence.

“He wanted to come so badly,” Mrs. Jeon explained softly, her voice filled with regret, “but he’s been overwhelmed with school. His exams are just around the corner, and he couldn’t afford to miss them.”

The words were like a dagger to Taehyung’s heart. He understood the importance of school, but the thought that Jeongguk hadn’t even made the effort to be there for him during such a painful time was too much to bear. He forced a polite smile when he saw Mrs. Jeon looking his way, but inside, he felt something break.

After the funeral, Taehyung retreated into himself, shutting out the world and even those closest to him. He stopped attending social gatherings, preferring the solitude of his room. His once-bright laughter was replaced with silence, and the light in his eyes dimmed. Jimin, who had always been his closest friend after Jeongguk, noticed the change but found himself helpless to bring back the old Taehyung.

Jimin tried to coax Taehyung out of his shell, but each attempt was met with quiet indifference. The bond they once shared began to unravel, and Jimin, frustrated and confused, started to spend more time with new friends. He threw himself into the party scene, finding solace in the loud music, dancing, and the intoxicating haze of alcohol. The vibrant nightlife became his escape from the emotions he didn’t want to confront.

At home, Taehyung’s father, Mr. Kim, watched his son’s growing isolation with concern. He missed the lively boy who used to fill the house with laughter and music.
On Taehyung’s 18th birthday, in a bid to bring some joy back into his life, Mr. Kim presented him with a small, fluffy puppy.

“His name is Yeontan,” Mr. Kim said with a gentle smile, watching as Taehyung’s eyes softened for the first time in months. The little dog wagged its tail excitedly, licking Taehyung’s hand as if sensing the sadness in him.

Taehyung knelt down, letting Yeontan nuzzle into his arms. For the first time in a long while, he felt a glimmer of warmth in his heart. Yeontan became his constant companion, a small comfort in the midst of his pain. Together, they spent hours on the balcony, where Taehyung found solace in violin and painting. The balcony became his sanctuary—a place where he could lose himself in the rain, snow, and sunshine, far from the harsh realities of the world.

Meanwhile, Jimin’s life took a different turn. The parties, once a rare indulgence, became his way of life. He embraced the zazzzy, funky side of himself, reveling in the freedom that the nightlife offered.
But with this new lifestyle came a growing resentment towards Taehyung. The constant comparisons by his parents—“Why can’t you be more like Taehyung? Look how well-behaved he is!”—began to grate on Jimin’s nerves.

He knew Taehyung was struggling, but the pressure to live up to an impossible standard, combined with his own feelings of inadequacy, planted a seed of bitterness in his heart.
A thin veil of hate began to form, though he kept it buried deep down, not wanting to acknowledge the dark emotions festering within him.

As the years went by, the distance between Taehyung and Jimin grew wider. Taehyung, with his art, violin and Yeontan, and Jimin, with his parties, dance and new friends, drifted further apart.
The once inseparable duo now lived in parallel worlds, each coping with their own pain in different ways.

But the past, with all its unresolved emotions and broken promises, was never far behind, waiting for the moment when it would all come crashing down.

---
.

.

.

.
Thanks for reading this story...
🙆🏻‍♀️💜🫶🏻