Chapter 1

After working since sunrise at my grandma's small restaurant, I decided to take a quick break. When I stepped outdoors, I pulled a cigarette out of my pocket and attempted to reach for my lighter inside my apron pocket. However, I was unable to find it. I groaned.

Suddenly, a lighter was lit up next to me, drawing my attention. A man I haven't seen before stood beside me. 

After he lit my cigarette, he withdrew his hand and lit one of his own, "Don't they teach kids not to smoke anymore?"

I took deep drag of the cigarette, and let out the smoke. "Circumstances can be persuasive. Makes us do things we never thought of."

The man continued smoking as he listened to my speak. He found my answer slightly amusing, and a hint of a smirk tugged at the corners of his lip. He took a drag from his own cigarette and exhaled slowly, before speaking. "You sound quite mature for someone most likely half my age."

I let out a chuckle and turned my head sideways to look at him.

"Appearances can be deceiving." I said, and brought the cigarette to my lips and took a deep breath on it. Releasing the smoke, I said, "I'm twenty."

The man chuckled softly, his gaze lingering on my face for a moment as he inhaled from his cigarette.

"Twenty, huh? I bet you still have your parents watching over you." His smirk widened as he watched the smoke escape my lips. His eyes held a hint of amusement and curiosity, intrigued by my maturity for someone so young.

Anger inflicted in my mind as I took a deep drag of the cigarette to maintain my composure, and side glared at him. "They are... I hope..." I said with a snarl, and tilted her head back to look at sky, tears burning her vision, as I swallow the lump formed in her throat.

The man took a moment to observe me; the way I reacted to his comment about my parents. It was interesting to him, how easily I had let my emotion slip out.

The man leaned against the wall, his eyes still fixed on me. "Seems I hit a nerve."

I scoffed as a sad grin pulled on my face.

I looked down at my feet, as I lean against the wall of the back of the restaurant. "If insulting my no-longer-alive parents means you hit a nerve..." I paused and inhaled a deep breath to keep my emotions locked in. "Then you're right."

There was a brief moment of silence between the both of them before the man spoke up again, this time without smugness in his voice.

"You're a feisty one, aren't you?" He exhaled from his cigarette, and a puff of smoke escaped his lips. "Most your age would've probably burst into tears by now."

I scoffed again, taking a pull on the cigarette and blowing out the smoke.

"Got to be strong 'cuz I have a child to take care of." I said looking back at the stranger. He was tall, almost a foot more than I am. His deep blue eyes almost black in the dim light of the alleyway. His hair jet black, and messy as if he's been running his hand through it constantly.

A hint of surprise appeared on the man's face as he heard my words. His eyebrows raised slightly, and his gaze on me intensified.

"A child? You're barely an adult yourself."

The man studied her closely, taking in my appearance; my features, and the way I held myself. His eyes lingered on my face, trying to find any sign of exhaustion or stress that being a parent usually brought with it.