Chapter 3

Laura, 

I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye. I had to leave before your dad came up and I didn't want him getting the wrong idea. 

Adam xx

I smile as I read the note. He had actually bothered to do something like that. I check my phone. 1 new message. I open it. It was from Adam.

Meet me at the banana split at 12.

The Banana Split was just the local coffee shop that is really cheap.

I check my clock. 11:42 "Crap!" I yell. I jump out of bed and get to work

~~~~~

     "Sorry I'm late!" I say and slide into the seat opposite seat from Adam. He smiles at me.

     "It's fine." A middle aged man comes over to serve us, but is instantly distracted by my cleavage.

Pedo.

     "Oi, bro, her eyes are on her face," Adam hisses. The guy's head snaps up to glare at Adam. "Come on, Laura. Let's go," Adam says. He grabs my hand and we wander down to the beach. After a few minutes of silence, I say, "thanks for staying with me last night." Adam grins and swings our arms as we walk.

     "S'okay. How are you, Laura?" He asks. I shrug.

     "Okay,"

     "No, really,"

     "Right now, I feel great," I answer truthfully. He nods, then stops to turn and face me. He cups my face in his hand and I lean into his palm. He leans closer, as if he wants to kiss me. At the last second, I pull away and look away awkwardly. "I'm sorry..." I trail off, biting my lip.

     "Don't be," Adam says, walking in front of me. He looks up to the sun and squints. I couldn't take my eyes off him.

     "You know... I've always wanted to know what's in that head of yours..." Adam says. I shrug.

     "Song lyrics, names, birthdays, stuff for school..." I say. "The usual."

     "No. What I mean is deep down in your mind that no one else has dared to venture."

     "Ah," I sigh. "All the things I've done. I never forget those, y'know? And financial problems at home. I try to help my parents, but it's not enough." Adam nods. We sit down at a bench and tuck my knees under my chin.

     "Have you ever kissed anyone?"

     "Is this twenty questions or something?" I ask. He shakes his head. "No," I admit. "I hate to say it, but it's true. I've never had anyone drooling over me, or anything. I'm nothing special... I'm just me," I say. 

     "Is that really what you think of yourself?" I nod my head. He puts his head in his hands and doesn't say anything for a while. 

     "I'm sorry...?" It comes out more of a question. 

     "No, don't be Laura. It's me. It's just..." He trails off.

Me being the awkward turtle I am, I stand there, not doing or saying anything. I just stare at him. He looks back at me.  

     "We'd better get you back, Laura." I violently shake my head. 

     "No! I mean... I'm having a nice time! Can't we just stay a little longer?" I beg. Adam sighs, but nods his head.  

~~~~~ 

Monday rolled back around quickly, and before I knew it, I was sitting in the canteen with my friends once again. Aaron had asked out Selena over the weekend, so here she was.  

     "I was thinking about maybe going to Adam's party this weekend?" Selena suggested. I nearly choke on my sandwich. 

     "Adam Calders?!" I say in between breaths.  

     "Yeah, why?" 

     "No reason..." I croak. Aaron shakes his head at me, and then puts his arm around Selena. I sort through my thoughts. Adam had never had a party before, so why one now? Were his parents away? Were they going to be there?  

I needed to know stuff quick.