4 || why he left

"Look who finally decided to show up," Benji grinned, obviously pleased that I fell through and came to him.

I rolled my eyes. "I only came because you sounded desperate, and because I'm a nice person. Don't feel so accomplished, Benji." his name rolled off of my tongue as if it was poison to say.

Instead of him backing off like I intended he would do, he just laughed lightly. "Cute as always, pipsqueak," my face involuntarily flushed at that. Cute? He thought I was cute?

My mind was having an internal battle with itself. What if what Nico said was right? Was I just trying to convince myself that Benji and I would never be friends again after what he had done?

"Don't just stand there and die in the heat. Come in," he interrupted my thoughts. I hesitantly accepted his invite inside, slipping off my flats by the several pairs of shoes on the ground.

Benji led me into the living room. The house had a very sparse amount of furniture, which was reasonable seeing as he just got here yesterday. However, there was a couch and small television, and in the dining room next to it was a table with two chairs.

The house layout itself was just as I remembered it. A lot like my house, actually, which was slightly unnerving.

There, on the couch, was none other than Nico. He was watching some weird Asian game show on the tv.

At the small dining table was Sammie, Benji's younger sister. She had earphones in, and was subtly bobbing her head to her music. She took no notice of me, for she was busy on her phone. Typical fourteen year old.

However, Nico did notice my entrance. "Hey, Piper! Long time no see," he cracked a goofy smile, to which I couldn't help but smile back.

"Can you even understand that?" I gestured to the television, where the game show host was yelling in rapid Chinese(at least I thought it was Chinese). The whole audience started laughing hysterically at whatever he was saying.

"Nope! But it's still fun to watch," Nico replied, turning his attention back to the show. Benji just shook his head, stifling a laugh at his friend.

"Hey, bud, do you think you can take this upstairs? I've gotta discuss some stuff with Piper," Benji explained. Nico pouted, reluctantly getting up from the couch.

"Cya around," he said to me, heading up the stairs. "I'm going to use your t.v, Benji!" he yelled from the second floor.

Benji laughed. "Okay, go ahead!" he yelled in response and then turned to me.

"Do you want anything? Hungry? Thirsty?" It was almost dinner time, which meant I hadn't eaten since around 1, but declined his offer anyways. "No, I'm good," he just nodded and walked over to Sammie. I stood by the TV, unsure of what to do.

When Benji reached her, he swiftly pulled out her earbuds. "Hey!" she exclaimed, and he frowned. "Can you go upstairs? I need to talk to Piper."

Her eyes brightened, like a puppy when hearing the word 'treat'. I failed to hold back a laugh when I saw her expression, which caused her to glance towards me.

Sammie gasped. "This is Piper?" she asked incredulously, standing up. I chuckled, a bit awkwardly, as she approached me.

"I've missed you!" she squealed and suddenly I was being squeezed to death by the girl. I smiled fondly at the gesture and hugged her back.

"I'm glad I came back to Cali, because otherwise I wouldn't have gotten to see you," with a smile, she grabbed her phone off of the table and headed upstairs.

Benji chuckled and came over to me. "Sit," he ordered. I frowned, disliking the fact that he was telling me what to do, but sat down on the couch anyways. He had a seat next to me.