Chapter 1

"Hey, wake up!", as I was snoring sound asleep, I felt small fingertips simply come across my face. I blinked a few times to see a shadowy figure all up in my face, slapping my cheeks. I groaned and lazily slapped the shadow across the face. It was weak, but I could've done better. As my eyes began to adjust, I noticed that it was just Phillip.

"Ugh, what do you want Phillip?", I moaned. I sat up straight and stretched my arms out, nearly slapping him again. "Well, good afternoon to you too?", he ruffled my hair and I gave him a playful shove. "Where are we?", I asked, rubbing my eyes and stretching some more. Phillip stepped aside to reveal a sparkly blue ocean with perfect tanned sand. I could of sworn I had saw a small crab jump out of the sand and stare directly at me. I giggled inside.

My eyes widened with shock. "It's beautiful...", I whispered to myself. "It is isn't it?", I guess Phillip must of heard me. It took me just a moment to notice I was still in our dump truck we call a 'car'. I stepped out and blocked the sun with my hands. "Hey, stop being so lazy and come help me with the bags!", he took out some of his bags from the trunk. I went with him and took mine. When we finished, Phillip led me to a small beach house.

The house had a green slant roof made out of strong cement. The walls were light blue like the ocean and had a few windows, revealing the empty feeling inside of the house. As Phillip and I walked inside, I felt a warm breeze hit my face. I placed my bags up on the counter in, what I assume, the kitchen. I saw a few cockroaches and squashed them with my shoe; gross. Phillip saw one crawling up his leg and smacked it with his big beef hands.

He's not scared of these things. Phillip is an Australian red neck, so he kinda knows all the ropes of the wild and such. When mom died, Phillip gave up the wilderness junk and decided to take care of me instead. Phillip is my step dad, so without him, I'm practically an orphan. Dad left when I was just a baby and mom got bit by a venomous snake. "Emma, everything's gonna be alright, I promise.", Phillip would always tell me. He's more of a best friend than a dad to me, and he could care less if I called him by his name or not; I don't mind either.

"So, have you tried surfing yet?", Phillip placed a microwave on the counter and plugged it in. The light turned on inside the microwave. "I never actually thought about surfing.", I admitted. Sounds fun, but I've heard WAY too many accidents on TV about surfers and loosing some kind of body part. I shivered inside. Assuming since I've been with Phillip for about ten years now, Im still freaked by this whole wilderness thing. I just like to sit at home and play with my guitar. When I heard about the death of my mother about three years ago, I had smashed my guitar. I still miss both my guitar and my mom. A few tears flowed down my cheeks.

"Emma, I know you miss her. I miss her too. But, we need to be strong. Okay pal?", Phillip placed a hand on my shoulder and wiped away some tears. I nodded. "Hey, why don't I teach you how to surf? It'll get your mind off of things.",Phillip gave me a wink. "Sure, I mean, how bad can it be? It's worth a shot." "Now THAT sounds like my little munchkin!" I gave Phillip a shove and run upstairs. I found the biggest room and placed my bags inside. I got out my floral bandeau strapless bikini and slipped it on. I slipped on my pink crocs, grabbed some sunscreen, my sun hat, towel, and sunglasses. I placed my stuff in my beach bag and ran back down stairs.

When I got back to the kitchen, I saw most of the stuff laid out on the counter table and Phillip already changed. The microwave was where its supposed to be, the plates were all stacked up in a pile near the eating utensils, and a pile of dead cockroaches near a broom. "Ready?" I took a deep breath. A new adventure awaits. "I'm ready."