Change of Heart

{Jay}

I sat there listening to his conversation with his assistant Rachel. I didn't have a clue what was going on , but It would be a lie if I was to exclaim that I wasn't curious to know. I wanted to ask what  had happened because it seems serious , but I wasn't so bold to ask, at least I don't think I was. I'd glance over at him every few seconds, but his eyes was steady on the road, and his mind was obviously in a million other places.  My first instinct was not to be concerned, but my inner self spoke to me. Yes, this man is a lot of things and I have every reason in the world not to like him or trust him, but he does seem to have a soft side when it comes to me.  However, that will always be strange to me, but I  don't think  I can ever forgive myself if something was terribly wrong and I not show an ounce of concern or care for him. Finally, after many whispers from my inner self, I got up the courage to ask about the phone call. I took a well needed breath right before I turned my gaze on him. There was just no denying that he was a well put together man. Very organized, tall, handsome, wealthy and well distinguished. His scent was compelling, his eyes angelic, and his emotions were perplexed to me. I found him endearing yet annoying and demanding. The only other man I've seen so impassioned about everything was my father. Deep down inside I was still a little girl at heart and didn't know what a man was supposed to feel, but I have common sense. I swallowed with an intensity so strong it heightened the nervous feeling in my stomach. I enclosed my hands together tightly and sat them In my lap as my gaze continued to ponder his thoughts.

" Michael, I wasn't ....well I couldn't avoid overhearing you on the phone.." That was all I was capable of saying before we parked in the parking lot of the hotel I use to reside in.

He took a  deep breath and his eyes steadied the brick on the building. He slowly turned to meet my gaze and he sort of smiled, but took it away quickly.

" A lot is going on back home in, LA. Unfortunately,  I have to return." He scoffed as he explained. "I hadn't given much thought about returning home. Honestly, I didn't think I was going to ever return, but now I have to. I've been away--running  away  when I should've handled my personal affairs head on."

I felt a  little regret as he spoke. I practically gave him grief about running away from his life and now my words playing back to me seems so truculent and unforgiveable. I never wanted to be known as a malicious person, but Michael brought out a side of me that I didn't know when he invaded my personal life, and after enduring some of  the things that I've  endured,my words became repulsive and I became defensive.

" I..I" I sighed. I was officially lost for words. Looking over at him made everything that's happened in the short amount of time seem less important. "I was wrong to speak on parts of your life that's not any of my business, and I hope you can agree to say the same ,whereas  I'm concerned."

" Jasmine, I never meant to hurt you and I know that I have. It was never my intent to make you feel inferior of me or to invade your space." He exclaims and I believe him. "I never met anyone  like you, which is refreshing." He tells me with a slight blush on his cheeks. "I just have some things going on back home, and if I don't get back there all that I worked for will be in vain."

His eyes were suddenly dimmed with sadness, and my heart bled for his feelings. He was obnoxious  and nosy, but I had feelings for him especially now. Seeing him distraught was a little out of character for him, although I don't know him per say, I don't see that effortless beaming glow in his eyes as I've seen the days prior, and I actually miss it.