Chapter 37

My eyes flutter open and closed, only opening enough to see that there is a commotion in front of me. I swallow down the bile rising in my throat and wait for myself to lose consciousness. I try to pry my eyes open but it becomes harder as time passes, and my head feels like it could drop from my body. That's when I see them; the things I have longed for as long as I have been here; that I've dreamed of. Two perfectly moulded green eyes staring right into my own pull me from my dazed state back into reality.

"Come on." I faintly here him say before I'm lifted into his warm arms.

I want to scream from the pain as he squeezes my broken arm and ribs but I don't have the energy and quite frankly it's the best pain I've felt in my life.

I try to focus on his face as he carries me, his jaw clenched and lips pressed into a firm line of anger. His eyebrows furrowed and his eyes alight with rage as he runs from wherever we are. I lost track. He looks down to me every now and then, a look of panic and worry stressed across his face.

I groan as I feel nausea consume me once more. "I'm going to pass out." I try to tell him but I know the words didn't sound so coherent. I feel myself placed somewhere but my vision and mind are blurred. Just as I'm about to give in to my body's needs and close my eyes, I hear his words that burn a hole in my very soul.

"Please, don't die. Don't go, Annabelle. Don't leave me."

I open my eyes as wide as possible and cling to every last piece of consciousness I have left while repeating the words he spoke over and over in my mind.

Harry disappeared from view as several others gather round, examining several parts of my body. I was bleeding somewhere, I knew it, and Harry knew it as soon as he saw me. I can only dream what I look like, and the fact that Harry has seen me that way almost embarrasses me even though I know it shouldn't.

"I found it. It's here. Turn her on her side." A voice spoke as I was rolled over onto my side.

I breathed deeply, loudly gasping with the effort it took to breathe but I repeated the words over and over and over, the pain that consumed me was overwhelming and a cry left my mouth, but not a tear fell.

I felt something jag into my lower back and my body flinched as I remembered my first kiss with Harry, the first time I felt his mouth on mine and how electric it felt, like a current of warmth pulsed through my body.

My eyes squeezed shut as there was another jag and I remember the first time I saw his eyes. It was like looking into anther universe entirely and my heart raced with excitement and fear at the same time.

I gasped for breath as what felt like a knife was thrust into my back and my eyes opened wide as I remembered laughing as I lay by the lake with Harry, a soft breeze cooling my body as the sun shone brightly on us.

"Please, don't die. Don't go, Annabelle. Don't leave me."

The words played on my heart like a violin and memories with him flooded my brain. I can still feel the need I had for him while I was in there and how much I would have given just to see him one last time.

I saw a flash of his eyes before they disappeared again and my lifeless body lay alone as the Terrebit stood back. I didn't care to know what was happening so I remained completely still and prepared for anything that would come at me to take away the pain.

The light. The bright light. The bright light from the infirmary was here again. The brightest light I had seen in my life and it was all I could see. I wanted to scream it was so bright but at the same time I wanted to stare at it in awe. It provided a blanket of shelter and warmth around me and I felt as though I was floating and would never come down.