On the Radio

They never said your name, but I knew just who they meant.

Hoshi and T'Pol go through Tripp's things and are both affected, but in different ways.

~~~~~~~~~

Someone found a letter you wrote me, on the radio

And they told the world just how you felt

It must have fallen out of a hole in your old brown overcoat

They never said your name

But I knew just who they meant.

– Donna Summer (On the Radio)

=/\=

The captain sighed. "I, I know it's early. But the Tucker family really, uh, they are going to need for us to do this."

It was a meeting of the senior staff. To Captain Archer's right was T'Pol, the Vulcan First Officer, and then, next to her, was the pilot, Ensign Travis Mayweather. Across from him was Ensign Aidan MacKenzie, who was filling in while the Tactical Officer, Lieutenant Malcolm Reed, was on paternity leave. Next to him was the MACO CO Major Strong Bear Dawson, who everybody called Bud. To Dawson's right was the Chief Medical Officer, a Denobulan named Phlox, and then the Communications Officer, Ensign Hoshi Sato. And next to her, feeling very lost and more than a little weirded out by the whole experience was the second at Engineering, Ensign José Torres.

"Uh, let me know what to do, sir," volunteered Torres.

"Here's what I would like," began Jonathan Archer, "I need for someone to go into Commander Tucker's quarters and, and go through his personal effects. Someone will also need to go through his personal logs and any electronic files."

Hoshi looked up. "I suppose I should do the logs." Her voice was tired. Tripp Tucker's end was all too recent.

"I am the logical choice for attending to the Commander's personal effects," T'Pol stated flatly.

"I don't think either of you need to do this alone," the captain offered. "In fact, I insist on it. You both need a, a buddy."

The Vulcan eyebrow was raised. "Starfleet regulations do not require such an arrangement. It was not necessary for the other deaths we have experienced as a crew."

"That may be so," allowed the captain, "but I don't care. I can see how affected everyone is." He did not add, but he did think – even you.

"When Crewman Cutler passed, this was not the protocol that was followed. The same is true regarding the death of Major Hayes," T'Pol insisted.

The doctor looked up at the mention of Liz Cutler's name. "I, I have to say, if I had had a, a buddy, I think it would have helped at the time."

"Then it's settled. Hoshi, T'Pol, just pick someone from the senior staff. Dismissed."

As they left, José approached Hoshi. "Uh, do you want me to help you? 'Cause I think it might be good if I were learning what to do until we get back to space dock. But if you need me, tell me, okay?"

He was a big galoot of a guy, the tallest person on the ship, and he had been thoroughly unexpectedly thrown into the role. Fortunately, they would be mothballing the ship soon. He was not supposed to be getting a promotion, and he looked a little lost. He had also asked her out fairly recently. "I, uh, that's okay," Hoshi assured him.

"Can I see you later then? I mean, it's Valentines' Day and all."

"Maybe not this evening, sorry. I, I just can't right now. This was just a tough day, okay?"