Prologue~ Cameron

The night started out with a big dinner at the table. My mother was humming softly to Hunter Hayes, my father was grilling burgers and hot dogs, and my brother and I were deep into conversation about flying saucers. By the time my father came in announcing the food was ready, all of us were hungry and ready to eat. 

When we had all finished eating, I had noticed that my father had had a few more beers than he usually did. I could smell the alcohol in his breath when he spoke, but my mother and brother acted as if this was normal. I shrugged it off like it didn't matter, because at the time, it didn't. When it was time for bed, my brother and I walked up to my room and talked quietly about anything and everything. We had always been the best of friends, even though he was only ten and I was thirteen. I was just in the middle of telling him about my dream the other night when my father had walked in. He frowned upon us, and blinked a few times.

"What are you still doing up, Jacob?" he had asked, his breath stinking of alcohol. My brother, Jacob, shifted uncomfortably where he was sitting on my bed.

"Just saying goodnight to Cammie, father," Jacob answered quickly, hopping off my bed and running out of the room. I looked at my father after my brother had left. He looked different, almost angry.

"Are you alright sleeping alone, Cameron?" my father asked, closing my door. I got an uncomfortable feeling of being alone in my room with him; it didn't seem safe.

"I'm fine, father. I always sleep alone," I answered quickly, hoping he would take the hint and leave. He didn't. He stayed in my room, and walked towards my bed. 

"I think I'll sleep with you tonight, Cameron. I want to make sure you're safe," he said, taking a seat on my bed and putting a hand on my knee. I moved away from him and curled up my legs.

"I'll be okay father. I kick in my sleep anyways. I don't need to you sleep in here with me," I said, my voice shaking. My father took ahold of my legs and pulled them around his waist.

"I want you, Cameron. And I will have you," my father whispered and I swallowed back my fear.

"Father, please don't," I pleaded, trying to move my legs away from him. He pushed me down on my bed and held down my hands. 

"If you're going to be difficult, I might just have to be physical," my father warned, and I widened my eyes. 

"I won't be difficult father, but please, don't_" I didn't get to finish that sentence. The next thing I knew my clothes were being torn from my body against my will, and my father had tied a sheet to my mouth to silence my screaming. By the time my mother heard me and came running up the stairs and into my room, it was too late. My father was already done with me and he had already broken my soul. When my mother saw me on my bed, unclothed, she screamed at my father and asked him what his problem was.

"Don't be difficult, Elizabeth," my father had said, reaching into his back pocket. What happened next is a blur, but I remember gunshots and screaming. I remember shutting my eyes and wishing this was all a bad dream and I would wake up soon. But I never woke up. The screaming and gunshots didn't stop until I heard sirens, but by then it was already too late. My mother and brother were dead, and my father had fled the scene, leaving me naked and scarred for the rest of my life.