Chapter 1

After the long night, the longest I can remember, I wake up shaking and startled. I realise my face is wet and I put a hand up to it. I must have been crying when I was asleep.

I turn my head slightly and Dan's eyes are shut and his own long lashes are damp too. I stare for a while, but then

I feel a bit cringe-worthy when I realise I've been watching him sleep. I roll over and a sharp pain stabs into my wrist. I lift it up into view and I realise I still have my watch on. I check the time and I immediately scramble to my feet and shake Dan.

" Dan, Dan wake up," I whisper shouted. "DAN! " I actually shouted this time.

"Huh, what?" He opens his eyes confused and squinting .

" OH MY GOD DAN! It's already 11:30, we need to start looking for people in half an hour, trust me, I've watched enough Walking Dead to have a few tricks up my sleeve. " I giggled at the end.

"Ok, let's get moving then. " he shuffles around and stumbles a bit getting up, so I (naturally) reach out my hands and they end up on chest to steady him. I feel my cheeks flaming and I pull my hands away a but too quickly so it looks like I was embarrassed, even though I was.

"By the way," he whispers in my ear, " Daryll's my favourite"

I scream a bit inside, fangirling because Daryll's my favourite too.

"Ok, we should get some weapons or something if we want to get out alive. Even though its noon we still might find a few walkers. " I order and I cringe again because I was being WAY too dramatic and bossy.

But Dan being the sweet person he is he replies with " aye, aye, captain!"

I laugh and he laughs, and everything is back to normal again, back when these... Creatures were only found in TV and movies, and me and Dan came from two different worlds, and it was me doing the stargazing.

" I can't help but remember how it started, how I was walking to school and I heard a scream behind me," I suddenly started saying"I turned only to see a crawling, moaning figure make its way to a woman, and obviously she was stuck in fright, because she could have easily outran it, but she didn't, and it reached her, and I ran.

I ran for my house, my home, my family. I burst through the door but it was too late, a zombie was making its way to my mum, so I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a knife and plunged it into the monsters head. I heard a slight crunch, and it went limp.

I ran to my cowering mum, but she was like a statue, made from the stone of dread, and I hugged her. I hugged her harder than I have ever hugged before, my eyes deciding to call a storm.

But I heard another moan, a shamble, and I leapt up, calling out for my mum, but she sat there, staring, and suddenly the first movement I saw from her was her eyes, widening with realisation, and as I turned around mine did the same.

It was my dad.

She ran to him, oblivious of what he had became, a rotting, walking corpse.

She clung to him, and I knew what was coming next. I didn't say anything, because I knew it would make no difference. I saw in her eyes she wasn't ready for this world, and she wanted out. She held onto my father and held her wrist out to him.

I ran out if the back door, sobbing, and I made my way to the only place I knew the way to without a doubt.

And that's how a made it here " I said, unfocused.

Dan sat beside me, and I realised I had huddled up into a ball, another set of tears making their way down my face.

He hugged me. And we sat for about 10 minutes in that position in silence.

It was nice. It was sweet. It was calming. It was different.