Baby steps to a good start

Pari's POV

My first day at college turned out to be a sweet disaster. Seeing so many males in my immediate environment was not something I was used to. I had just one male professor back in school and at home I had Dad, well my family did consist of a dozen male cousins with whom my interaction was as low as the temperature on Neptune. There were some genuinely decent boys, while there were a few who looked at me as if I were a piece of meat and they'd been fasting since a year. I put on a brave face even though deep down I could pee any moment. That was typical Me!

I walked up to the notice board and tried to locate any notice put up for the junior batch. It was raining heavily that day and the corridors were slippery. Why does college have to begin in the rainy season? Seriusly why? Don't get me wrong, I love Monsoon. It is my most favourite time to be alive unlike winters when I'm into partial hibernation. But today I had responsibilities to complete. I could not enjoy the rain because of all the crowd and the noise that escaped from the mouths of some blabbermouths.One foot gone wrong and boy, I would end up making a joke of myself on the very first day.

 I managed to cautiously get through the wet floor and walked in the direction of the library. God bless the being that invented signboards. The attendant handed me over my identity card after a tedious verification process and gave me instructions about where to go next. Ten minutes of confusion and anxiety attacks later, I reached the administration department after battling probably a gazillion stares in the corridors.

 The lady at the window handed me over a temporary schedule and a long list of books which I had to collect from the bookstore only after she'd thoroughly scanned my ID card.Damn she could work for the CBI. Three One Direction songs later, I collected my stack of books and tried walking away without getting into unwanted limelight. But hey! How can the clumsy Me get away without making a show?

 I slipped over an unnoticed puddle and landed straight under a pile of textbooks and journals. My deepest desire at that particular moment was to see Harry Potter fly in on his Firebolt, wrap me in his invisibility cloak and take me away with him to Hogwarts. Naah! Didn't happen. I managed to get up, pretending that it didn't hurt but damn it hurt so bad that I could imagine my pain receptors writhing at the intensity of my fall.

 Amidst all the cold hearted people standing there and watching my untimely freakshow, a timid little person showed up. A girl with spectacles. She helped me collect my books and smiled with an apologetic look. I could sense that she felt sorry for me. Finally she spoke up, 

"Hi! I'm Devika. Had a little accident here did we?".

 "Pari. Nice to meet you. Thank you for the help" I said with a weak smile.

"Never mind. Which class will you be attending?" she asked trying to get a look at my ID card.

 "I'll be in the grade 11 division D in the Science stream" I answered. Her face lit up like a lantern during Diwali. 

"Hey that's the one I'll be in too" she said.

 I was glad that my guardian angel in disguise was also my classmate. We walked to class together exchanging basic details about our previous life at school and obvious banter about my little accident.

 Our classroom was huge and resembled a movie theatre. It just fell short of a nice projector. I'm not a person who usually likes sitting on the last benches so I plopped on the first bench in the first row. Devika sat besides me. It took 5 minutes for our teacher to reach our class. Does everyone get lost in this campus? She was a middle aged woman with a wide smile pasted on her face. Not exaggerating but I could literally count all her teeth. She had a few files in her hand which she placed on the desk. After introducing herself and the subject she would be teaching she gave each student their respective roll number and taught a small poem. Weren't poems supposed to be a school thing? Post two Chemistry and one English lecture our classes for the day were done.

 I and Devika walked to the bus stop together. Unfortunately we stayed far away from each others houses and had to board different buses. I did like my new friend. Yes I had already taken the liberty to call her my friend. I got into the bus which fortunately had arrived on time. After a rather harsh start which I would only forget if something good would happen soon, I was glad that I wasn't lonely like I imagined and had found a new friend in Devika. I smiled to myself and played my favourite playlist on my phone whilst I looked dramatically outside the window of the bus. Could'nt wait to reach home and give my mom snippets of my day at college and get a good massage to soothe the pain that came along after my mighty fall.

Hello there Reader! So I've finally updated and I'm happy to know that you've stayed up. As said at the end of the previous chapter, I would appreciate constructive criticism to improve my writing skills and provide to you a better reading experience. If you had a good time reading this chapter then please vote for it and comment. Share the love! Until  we meet the next time.                                                                 -Priya :)