Chapter 1

"Willow! I heard smashing upstairs!" Brooke squeaked, her green eyes wide and curious.

I looked at her, my blue-gray eyes wide and my dark brown hair falling over my shoulder. "What? Who could it be? Mommy and daddy are already upstairs with your mommy and daddy!"

"I don't know! Let's go see. Maybe it's a surprise!" Brooke squealed excitedly, turning around and beginning to run up the basement stairs, her chestnut brown hair flying out behind her.

"Yeah!" I followed her, stumbling over the steps.

Brooke and I stumbled a few times. We were only three, these were big kid steps! But we could do it, because we're big girls! That's what our mommies and daddies told us. My mommy and daddy were best friends with Brooke's mommy and daddy, so we were bestest friends and got to see each other a lot!

Eventually, we reached the basement door. We opened the basement door and stopped, staring. From where we were standing, we could see the kitchen. Our parents would usually be there, laughing loudly and talking about something called insurance. But there was a person dressed in all black. They held something shiny and silver in their hand. The person lunged forward with the shiny thing and slit my mommy's throat.

Brooke's parents screamed and my daddy jumped up from his chair. He made his hand into a fist and punched the person in the face. The person let out a scream of fury and stabbed the sharp, shiny thing into his chest. I watched as red liquid poured from my mother's neck and my father's chest. I started breathing heavily as the person turned to Brooke's mommy and daddy, the shiny thing dripped with the red liquid.

It was hard to breathe, and the air was filled with a smell that made me want to cough. It was gross, and the red liquid just kept pooling on the kitchen floor. The person lashed out, the shiny thing cutting off the screams of Brooke's parents. The red liquid flowed from their throats and dripped out of their mouths. None of our parents moved.

"Mommy? Daddy?" I squeaked.

Brooke started to cry, and I followed soon after. The person turned around and I could see cold, brown eyes staring down at us. A few golden hairs poked out of the person's black, fuzzy mask. It looked exactly like my mommy's hair. Blonde, she would always call it. The person's eyes narrowed and they lifted up the shinny thing and began running at us.

Brooke and I screamed and ran down the stairs, tripping from running too fast and falling to the basement. We sobbed as we forced ourselves to get up and run to the boiler room. It was really big, and I remembered there was a tight space where we could hide and not be found. I grabbed Brooke's arm and led her into the boiler room.

I heard the person's footsteps behind us as I pushed Brooke into a space between a big pile of boxes. It was dark and there were too many boxes to move, so there's no way the person could get to us, and even if they saw us come in here, it would be impossible to fit. I dived in after her and watched in terror as the person headed into the middle of the boiler room. We had almost been caught.

Brooke was crying and so was I, but Brooke had to cover my mouth to stop the sobs from escaping. Somehow, I knew that our mommies and daddies would never wake up because of what that person did. The horrible, terrible person searched the entire boiler room, kicking boxes out of the way and screaming in frustration.

Finally, the person walked over to the door and left the boiler room. Brooke and I held our breath, listening closely as we heard the glass sliding door open and the sound of the person's footsteps go silent. Immediately, we ran as fast as we could from our hiding spots and ran, ran as fast as we could from the boiler room, from the basement, from the house.