Prologue

A haggard old woman, by the name of Gretta, made her way slowly to the doors of the state's royal castle, a beautiful white rose in her hand.

In the castle lived the King, who had yet to find a Queen. He was called Harold, but he preferred- no, demanded to be called Harry.

He was an attractive young lad. A seventeen year old with a tall form, beautiful green eyes, curly brown hair, and everything he could ever want. Most would think he would be grateful, but no. He always wanted more. He was greedy, selfish, and unpleasant. He was a disgrace. He was over-confident. He walked with his chin high and refused to speak to or touch anyone who wasn't beautiful and rich.

Gretta knocked on the door of the castle, waiting patiently for someone to answer. Surprisingly, the King himself answered.

He cringed as soon as he opened the door. Gretta had a hunched back, a chubby body, and wrinkly, saggy skin. A cane was in her hand, her knuckles white from gripping it so hard. She had warts on her face, a giant nose, and crooked, yellow teeth. Her eyes were grey, her hair white and falling out. He nearly slammed the door shut in her face, but she held up the rose with a shaking hand.

"P-please," she begged. "may I have a room, for just one n-night? It-it's much too cold f-for me, especially in th-this horrible s-storm. I have n-no other place to s-stay. I-I will g-give you this r-rose in ret-turn."

Harry crinkled his nose, taking a step back. "Absolutely not! Find some other place to stay, I don't want your stupid rose."

"D-don't be fooled by appearance, Harold." Gretta said. "Th-things aren't always wh-what they seem."

"Don't call me Harold, fool!" Harry snapped, pushing her away. "Don't you give me life lessons, either! Don't you know who I am?! I don't need advice from someone with nothing but a stupid rose and a cane. Be gone!"

Gretta frowned as Harry towered over her. She smirked up at him, though Harry didn't notice as the think fog swirled around her face.

Gretta had seen there was no love in Harry's heart, and for that, he had to be punished.

Gretta suddenly wasn't old anymore. She was young, Harry's age, and beautiful. She had perfect posture, a perfect face, a perfect everything. She was perfect.

Harry's eyes widened, stricken with horror. "Ma'am, I-I'm sorry. Please, stay the night. It would be my honor-"

For a moment, Harold felt pain. Nothing but a searing hot pain that covered his entire body, and he screamed, but then it was gone, just like the woman.

Confused, he sat up. He reached up to touch his aching head, but instead of his hand running past his sight, a furry hand did. Horrified, he crawled into his castle, his body suddenly heavy, to the nearest mirror, only to find he was a giant, ugly beast.

He screamed.

He screamed until he could no more, until all he heard was a roar, and collapsed, breathless, unable to cry.

This is what he'd become.

*

Yay, new story! (oh my god I write too much)