Step One

Assalamualaikum sisters!

First of all, I would like to introduce this guide to help all of you who need this advice. Many of us are Muslims, but are not strong and need more faith and iman to build up our belief in Allah, the one and only.

Being a sister myself, I was a weak Muslim until this year itself. All in all, I may have needed this book last year to read, rather than write it myself. Now I can proudly say that my levels of faith have increased highly.

The first step to being a better Muslim is having an unquestionable faith. You won't be able to become a better Muslim if you question your iman and are ignorant to Islam. Remember, we should be Muslims by faith, heart, and belief, not just by name.

The Q'uran is the holy book in Islam, consisting of thirty chapters, with beautiful meaning and a spiritual foundation. There are many verses that will help re-build your faith, such as the one listed below.

هُوَ اللَّهُ الَّذِي لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الْمَلِكُ الْقُدُّوسُ السَّلَامُ الْمُؤْمِنُ الْمُهَيْمِنُ الْعَزِيزُ الْجَبَّارُ الْمُتَكَبِّرُ ۚ سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ

Sahih International: He is Allah , other than whom there is no deity, the Sovereign, the Pure, the Perfection, the Bestower of Faith, the Overseer, the Exalted in Might, the Compeller, the Superior. Exalted is Allah above whatever they associate with Him.

- Surah Hashr, Ayah 23

Being the oldest book in Islam, with over 1400 years of age, the Q'uran has never been edited or had new versions, making it authentic and the literature have so much meaning.

Remember Allah a great deal (dhikr) with the dhikrs narrated in the saheeh ahaadeeth, such as "Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is no god except Allaah)", "Subhaan-Allaah wa'l-hamdu Lillaah wa laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wa Allaahu akbar (Glory be to Allaah, praise be to Allaah, there is no god except Allaah and Allaah is Most Great)", and so on.

Remembering Allaah (dhikr) increases faith and brings peace of mind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allaah do hearts find rest."

[al-Ra'd 13:28]

 One of the pillars of Islam is to regularly perform acts of worship such as prayer, fasting and the other pillars of Islam, whilst hoping for the mercy of Allaah and putting your trust in Him in all your affairs.

"The believers are only those who, when Allaah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur'aan) are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone);

"It is they who are the believers in truth. For them are grades of dignity with their Lord, and forgiveness and a generous provision (Paradise)." [al-Anfaal 8:2]

 Faith is also increased by obeying Allaah, and it decreases when one disobeys Him. So adhere to doing that which Allaah has enjoined such as performing the prayers on time in congregation in the mosque or home and showing compassion towards the poor and needy. Avoid the followers of bid'ah and sinners, lest they tempt you and weaken your resolve to do good.

But most importantly, turn to Allah, and ask Him for strength. Without the help of Allah, nothing will be achieved. Weep to Him as you would when you used to cry to your mother as a baby. Doing that will help you, and the people around you, tread the right path to Allah.

An old teacher of mine used to give me very helpful lectures. One time, he had taught me about the three paths we can take.

1. Path of Shaytan

2. Path of the Q'uran

3. Path of the Prophet (S.A.W)

The first path will obviously lead to wrong deeds, just like Shaytan had committed. In the end, it will land the followers of the path in Hellfire. But remember, there's always a way to get back to the right path by turning around.

Path number two will lead us to Allah and Jannah (Heaven), which we desire and should strive hard to achieve. Path number three will lead to the same destination as path number two.

So which one will you take? The one to happiness or the one to Hell? The one to life or the one to death? In the end, you will face the results of what you did in this world.