III. A Warm Embrace

I was led into the mansion while entwined with Ciel's arm. He escorted me into the mansion showing off his possessions. I had no interest in these sort of conversations but it was a rather common thing that all wealthy aristocrats or underlings have to partake in.

His mansion was grand and elegant but rather gloomy. I felt right at home, strangely. In the big and winding corridors the only sounds in the grey and blue halls were the tip tap of our feet and soft blows of our breaths.

"(Y/n), let me set something straight. I have no obligation to please you or the queen. If you interfere with me or my work in any form, I will personally carry out your demise."

I sigh. Of course this would happen to me. He's a difficult person. Why can't they be nice for once?

"Well, Ciel, I have a debt to pay to the queen and you are my last assignment. After you I can be free. You only need to pretend and act friendly. No way in bloody hell do I know what the queen wants me to do with you. She said to "save you". What does that even mean?" I ramble in annoyance. I wish I could assassin some noble prince or king or something that was quick and easier than this messy situation.  It's my last assignment. Of course she wouldn't make it easy.

"She wants you to make me feel," Ciel simply states.

I turn to him in disbelief. "Feel?" I pinch him. "You don't feel that?" He sighs and shakes his head.

"It's not as if the queen cares about me, (y/n), it's just that she enjoys assigning impossible tasks and making sure I suffer. She has no heart for anyone."

I nod in agreement at that. She was just bored. It was amusing for her to play with her little puppets at will. But, as she was the queen, whatever she said went.

He continued showing me around and I memorized the paths of the manor in a matter of seconds. Not because I wanted to plan an escape route, but because I have a tendency to get lost. Yes, I am quite ashamed of it.

We stroll back to the garden when suddenly I hear a huge explosion. I jump from the sudden noise and I feel Ciel grab me around my waist and slam me against the side of the wall. A huge ray of fire fills the hall that misses Ciel and I by an inch.

I grab onto him scared, and pull him closer to me, as much as I can, so he doesn't get wounded. I grasp him tightly as he shields me with his body. His head rests in the arch of my neck where I feel his warm breath. It's strange that I can't feel his heart beat.

As the fire diminishes I notice we are still in this position. Ciel recoils and I for some reason grasp him tighter.

"Are you scared, Lady (y/n)?"

I shake my head and softly murmur, "I can't hear your heart."

He pushes me off him and strides away. Leaving me confused and baffled.

His embrace was very warm.