Chapter 4: The Golden Eyes

"Brother, how are you?"

Kaiden smirked behind his closed hands as Jordan tensed. It was rare for the older of the two to visit the younger one. Kaiden knew his brother's secret, but it wasn't the time to confront him. No, he would use that to his advantage when needed.

"My lord-"

"Please brother, you do not have to call me that. There is no need for formalities after all, we did grow up together."

"I know," Jordan sighed, "I just have a lot on my mind."

Kaiden grinned.

"Is my baby brother having trouble with girls?"

Jordan huffed slightly and turned his head to look out the window next to the table.

"Even if I did, it's none of your business!"

Jordan would never admit it, but he was thinking about the soft lips that were on his cheek earlier. His cheek still tingled and he couldn't help, but to have another stupid grin come onto his face as he thought about it.

"You have that stupid grin on your face... Last time I saw that was when you fancied Maria."

Jordan's eye twitched slightly as a small amount red hue dusted his cheeks. Vampires had blood coursing through their veins and they all had a heartbeat, but it depended on if you were a full-blood or a half-blood whether it was strong or not.

"Well, this woman is infuriating and I'm just waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. She is nothing, but a pretty face and innocence. It's a shame really. To kill someone so beautiful..."

The younger brother could only hope that was his own motive. That girl did infuriate him and the human part of him - the one that was supposed to have ended a long time ago - cried out at the thought and wanted to protect the girl for some bizarre reason. It made him angry at how easily he could succumb to her wishes.

She was strange. A loner since early childhood from what he knew, and her scent... He couldn't tell why the smell of vanilla attracted his attention in the first place, but he knew that the smell of despair, pain, and betrayal when he first saw her, was too strong to ignore.

That brat, that mutt, hurt her. As a vampire, he could do things others could not. In fact, he was the only vampire in two hundred years to have any power. When he dreamed, sometimes he could go into someone else's memory or even a few seconds insight for the future. That's how he could tell the brat was at fault.

The human part of him, the smaller and less important part, wanted nothing more than to stay with the girl and protect her. She was interesting and he wanted to find out more. She wasn't completely human from what he could pick up. Either way, Jordan found himself in a battle. An immortal vs a mortal. Mind vs heart. Body vs soul.

Kaiden perked up at his brother's comment. If he was telling the truth than why wasn't the girl dead already?

"If it's all the same, than I think I should pay this little minx a visit."

A low growl was sent the kings way. To a vampire, if someone tries to take away another vampire's food, it was instinct to fight back. It was finders keepers and survival of the fittest in this world.

That was enough to prove himself for now. Kaiden stood up and silently waited for his brother to follow with a smirk. Jordan wasn't going to betray him unless truly having a reason.

"The rebels have been causing more trouble lately. I'm sure you could take your frustrations out on them."

Jordan smirked with his brother with malice. Jordan was a general. He controlled the kingdoms army and was known to be more bloodthirsty than his brother when it came to war. He was aggressive and merciless. He was great at playing mind games and infiltrating the enemy base with ease.